Author Topic: Magic Pie wiring  (Read 34435 times)

Offline Hyena

• Confirmed
  • E-bike maniac
    • Hyena Industries: performance ebikes
Re: Magic Pie wiring
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:42 AM »
I can't remember the wiring colours off the top of my head now but that sounds about right. It was definitely the blue braking plug connected to what ever wires come from the switch.

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:39 AM »
Thanks Hyena.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie throttle wiring checks
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
UPDATE: The wiring seems ok. I unhooked everything and just plugged the battery lead to the motor (no controller) and get the 3 beeps?

UPDATE 2: Ok, after getting back to this I have checked all the voltages and they seem to be in order across the board (including pedelec check) as per the other post. The only thing I cannot figure out how to get a reading on the throttle when in the open position with the 3-pin connector connected?

Mabman,

Plugging the battery lead to the motor with the throttle disconnected should give the 3 beeps.
You might want to raise the wheel off the ground before doing the following checks in case the motor suddenly starts.

Now plug in the cruise control button unit and hold down the red cruise button and the wheel should spin.

In order to get a reading on the throttle when in the open position with the 3-pin connector connected, you need to attach the Black meter probe to the battery negative (Ground) connection and then push your Red meter probe into the rear of the throttle connector (the cable side).
You can use bits of wire if your meter's probes are too large, but mine worked fine with a bit of gentle persuasion.

As all of the black wires on the main harness are common, I wedged the black meter lead into the rear of the centre connection on the pedelec plug (Black wire) and then held the red meter lead probe into the rear of the throttle connector on the motor side to check the red and white lead contacts. (one at a time)
You will find it's much easier than trying to get both probes into the back of the same connector.

The red lead should read somewhere around 5V, and the white lead should be similar to my readings; 0.8V on Low/No Throttle and above 3.5V on Full Throttle.

Please let us know the outcome, and use a new post rather than editing an existing one, or it may get overlooked. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:25:18 PM by spellchecker »

Offline jimabbott

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
Hi Alan,

Were in a Magic Pie thread talking about Magic Pies right?

I've had the pie spinning under power but not on the road yet.

But in all the messing about that I've done I've never heard any beeps come from the hub. Does yours BEEP then?

I can't check mine out now as I'm out of the UK.

Please confirm that your "Magic Pie" hub beeps.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
Please confirm that your "Magic Pie" hub beeps.

Jim,

My Pie certainly does beep, but not very loud. It sounds very similar to a PC which beeps during its initial start up, but quieter because it's stuck inside a sealed housing.

If I unplug the throttle and turn the power on it beeps 3 times as expected.

Alan

Offline jimabbott

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Thanks Alan,

Is that the only time it beeps or does it beep iindicating other conditions also?

If so a beep fault condition table may be useful.

Cant wait to get home to finish my bike off now the snow has cleared.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:25:19 AM by jimabbott »

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Thanks Bikemad, I received some instruction from Tom that I will try today along with your suggestions and get back when I can.

Mabman

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 12:14:22 AM »
Well today's efforts were not totally in vain I suppose as at least I know the motor works. I followed Tom's instructions which were to use a jumper wire between two points on the controller connector and the motor spins fine doing that. I thought at first that there was perhaps a short at the junction because the motor would cut out moving the controller wire close to the junction. But I still can't get the throttle(s) to work although all the readings are as given by Bikemad (thanks for the tip on getting the readings). And trying to control the MP with a jumper wire isn't going to work :-\

At this time I have the wheel spinning away in my truing stand to do some shallow cycling of the battery using the jumper method. I would really like to be out on the road doing this. Well except for the fact that it is pouring rain at the moment here.

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »
Well got the throttle working finally. The only problem is that I am not sure exactly what occurred to make it start working? The last thing I did before it worked was to jump the red and white wire at the black 3 pin connector off the exposed connections in the back of the connector to see if it got the same results as jumping the corresponding 2 holes at the 8 pin. It did and then when I plugged in a throttle it worked. I still think there has to be a short in there somewhere though. I had gone over all the visible connections multiple multiple times already so I am sure it wasn't one of them.

I also plugged the yellow and brown wires in to the blue connector and the switch works fine. We will see how it does in real life and may have to go with the horn button in the end but that will be easy enough to switch out for trials.

Thanks for all the help on here and have a great day!

Mabman

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
Well got the throttle working finally.
I still think there has to be a short in there somewhere though. I had gone over all the visible connections multiple multiple times already so I am sure it wasn't one of them.

Good to hear you've got your Pie back in action Mabman.

I think it's unlikely to be a short, much more likely to be a crimped connector making a poor contact with a wire somewhere, but at least you can use it now.
Let's just hope it doesn't start to play up again.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:06:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Wolga

• Confirmed
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
Power-connector (two pins)  for Magic Pie:
================================

Is it right, that the isolated connector is used for PLUS and the non-isolated one is used for MINUS.
There is no description for this in the "manual" and I don't want to make anything wrong.

(For your information I don't use the original GM-Batterie.)

Thanks for help

Wolfgang   ???

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
Power-connector (two pins)  for Magic Pie:
================================

Is it right, that the isolated connector is used for PLUS and the non-isolated one is used for MINUS.
There is no description for this in the "manual" and I don't want to make anything wrong.

Wolfgang,

The battery power cable which comes with the Magic Pie should be clearly labelled to avoid any confusion.
The exposed male connection on the battery lead is negative (should be Black) and goes to the battery -ve connection.
The recessed female connection on the battery lead is positive (should be Red) and goes to the battery +ve connection.

Please note that this is reversed on the connector fixed to the motor:
The exposed male connection on the motor lead is positive and goes to the Controller's +ve connection.
The recessed female connection on the motor lead is negative and goes to the Controller's -ve connection.

Most batteries will be clearly marked as well.

Alan

Offline Wolga

• Confirmed
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »
1. There was  NO  BATTERY POWER CONNECTOR in the delivery of Magic Pie (bought in Nov 2009)  !!!
There is only the wire coming out of the wheel with the two connections (+/-).

Therefore I have to build an own power cable and I will use YOUR INSTRUCTIONS (thanks for this, this is the  o p p o s I t e  of my thought, but I think you are right ;-) )

>>>>>Please note that this is reversed on the connector fixed to the motor:
>>>>>The exposed male connection on the motor lead is positive and goes to the Controller's +ve connection.
>>>>>The recessed female connection on the motor lead is negative and goes to the Controller's -ve connection.

(I wanted to check this with my measuring device but there is no connection between the case of the motor and minus, which I thought)

2. My battery has no visible cable outside its case.
On the case there  is one female connector for charging the battery and a second female connector with 4 contacts. I hope the online shop will help me to take the right two contacts.

http://www.activeshop24.de/Akkus-fuer-Elektrofahrrad/36V-Spannung/LiFePO4-36V-10Ah-im-Gepaecktraeger-inkl--Gehaeuse--Ladegeraet.html

Its very bad....
Both parts, the motor and the battery, has no manual in which I can find something about this.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:45:29 AM by wolga »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
1. There was  NO  BATTERY POWER CONNECTOR in the delivery of Magic Pie (bought in Nov 2009)  !!!
There is only the wire coming out of the wheel with the two connections (+/-).

Wolfgang,

I'm assuming a battery power lead should have come with the kit as standard like mine did:

The battery lead is shown on the right in the above picture, and is clearly labelled to avoid any confusion with the connections, and should be self explanatory.

Unfortunately it looks like they must have forgotten to put the lead in with your kit, unless you bought just the motor.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:08:02 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »
if you buy with battery, then you get the battery cables. I didn't got cables with the kit but with the battery shipment, it was also 5cm short(2 inch)