Author Topic: Other makes of bikes.  (Read 5069 times)

Offline shadow pilot

• Confirmed
Other makes of bikes.
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:14:42 PM »
If you guys and gals  don't mind a message from the dark side (ie, I do not have a GM product yet) I could use some help with another make of eBike. I recently purchased (for a steal price) a folding bike with 12" wheels, a 24 V brushed motor and an SLA battery, The guy selling it said he thought the battery was duff but I took that with a very large pinch of salt I already own a full size v good eBike (ECO bikes sold from Canada) but the little one would be perfect for trips to our summer house where all Swedes go to June to September. (The rest of the year is pitch dark and 'kin cold). Sure enough, the little bikes battery is fine but I suspect the controller is not. I will delve into this as soon as I have time. I tried to identify the bike via contacts in China and and the other place with no luck but then, much to my amazement, I found it was manufactured in the UK up to about '04 and was named the Bright FOLDe Twist & Go. It was sold at £300 and apparently they made hundreds. However, I've had no luck sourcing a replacement controller and the twist throttle is not it seems a potentiometer. Someone mentioned Hall effect devices. So,, has any kind person got any information about these bikes, knows where I might find a controller and knows how their throttles work? I thought I had cracked it when two came up on eBay, hardly used and complete with tool bag, manual and traveling bags but they had to go as a pair and it was only 'collect in person' from some where in the UK so that blew me out and they sold very quickly. I will be deeply grateful for any assistance I get.

Offline ccbreder

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Other makes of bikes.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
try "e-crazyman" on ebay, item # 300358454139 ,check his other controllers.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bright Bikes FOLDe
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
Hi Shadow pilot,

After a bit of Googling, I came up with this pdf bruchure: Click here to view

The brightbikes.com website no longer exists, but I did come across this UK addresses and phone numbers which might be worth a try:

Bright Bike Ltd. 19 Selbourne Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7JP. 08703 450750
Dr. Russell Everitt was the main contact.

Electric Bikes Direct 10 Station Parade, South Street, Lancing, W. Sussex, BN15 8AA  0870 345 0775 anytime.
www.electricbikesdirect.co.uk website also no longer exists.

I also found this:

Electric Bikes Direct, Unit 3A, Merrow Business Centre, Merrow Lane, Guildford GU4 7WA
0870 345 0775
info@ebd.eu.com

and this, which would seem to indicate that they are all the same business judging by the address and phone numbers used:

19 Selbourne Road, Guildford, Surrey GU4 7JP
0870 345 0775
info@ebd.eu.com

From the above details, you might be able to track someone down who can hopefully assist you. But if that fails, you should easily be able to find a suitable 24V speed controller for a brushed motor that you could adapt for the FOLDe as it's pretty common electric scooter hardware.

Most modern throttle controls use hall sensors, because they are easier to incorporate into a twist throttle and they tend to be more reliable as there are no physical contacts to wear.

Do let us know how you get on.

Alan

Offline shadow pilot

• Confirmed
Re: Other makes of bikes.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
Alan, thanks a million for your hard work. I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply but I''ve been away from the internet for several weeks, (yes, there are still places on this planet where you cannot surf - and boy! do you miss it!) I will try the numbers you found and let you know of the answers, if any. Meanwhile, I've been offered a controller on a sale or return basis so when that arrives (Royal Mail!) I'll see if it does the trick. The shop in Lancing was taken over and the new owners know nout about Bright. I also got a manual for it which told me nothing I didn't know already. Anyway, thanks again for your help, you are a star of the first magnitude. Chris.