Author Topic: 2 HPM5000B BLDC Motor connected together to have 10kW  (Read 6884 times)

Offline marchj

2 HPM5000B BLDC Motor connected together to have 10kW
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »
Hi,

I work for a master project in a university in Switzerland (Fachhoschule
Nordwest Schweiz). I need for a application of Kite power (create energie
with a kite) a motor/generator of 10kW.
The motor have to work as a generator and as a motor and I have to control
the speed in both cases. I think that it's possible with the "High Power
BLDC Motors" but not with only one because the rated power is to small.

My question is how to connecte and controle two motors together. It's not possible
to controle the both with the speed because the voltage have to be exacty
the same on the both motors.

An idea is to controle one motor with the speed and one with the torque. Is it possbile?

Thank you

Jérôme

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 2 HPM5000B BLDC Motor connected together to have 10kW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
Hi Jérôme,

I'm not exactly sure what you're proposing to do with these two motors, but it does sound interesting.

Two identical motors can easily be driven at different speeds from the same voltage source using two separate controllers, but is that what you meant?

Are you intending to use a two phase winch system, where both the motors will drive the drum during the winding phase, and be driven by it during the generating/unwinding phase?

If so, I expect you would need to have a high drive reduction for the unwinding phase so the motor spins fast as the cable is pulled out slowly, and a lower reduction for the winding phase, so the drum can spin faster and reel the kite back in quickly.

Perhaps you can combine a twin kite set-up with opposing winch drums and simply switch the power phase between them?
Unwinding one while winding the other would virtually eliminate the non-charging phase altogether, as you would just be switching between each of the power phases.

But I expect you've already explored all the possibilities.

Alan

Offline marchj

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »
I know that I can use two motors commended with different speed with two separate controller, but the problem is that the both motors have to drive with exactly the same speed because I need to connected them on the same spindle to have a power of 10kW.

Do you understant know?

Sorry but my english is bad!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
the problem is that the both motors have to drive with exactly the same speed because I need to connected them on the same spindle to have a power of 10kW.

Jérôme,

Although you may not be able to run two BLDC motors from one controller, you can operate two controllers from a single throttle device, and the two motors will run at the same speed.

Alan