Author Topic: Landrider bike exectrified?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline new biker

• BrentsGeneralStore.com
Landrider bike exectrified?
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »
I own a Landrider(lrider.com) bike and as you know it has an auto-shifter mine also has disk-brakes that works very well for me.  I have investigated several sites, systems and bikes. Now I am more confused that before.  I like the new Schwin electric bikes. Especially the battery system and how it is hidden in the rear rack. Here are my questions:#1 does anybody have any experience putting electric motors on a Landrider with auto-shifter?  I am not a speed demon just an older gentlemen looking for max range, I enjoy peddling but tire out when out all day 4-9 hrs. No real hills just prairie, great bike trails in and around the city. #2 Which electric motor would best suit my needs, which controller,what about the batteries, I would like to go with Lithium just for the charging and capacity weight and range (like on the schwin bike). What advantage is front hub over rear hub?  Help in solving this puzzle  :o
bb

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Landrider bike exectrified?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »
To answer you last question first I prefer front wheel kits for a regular bike over rear wheel because even if there is no spacing issue and even if you use Lithium batteries (unless mounted in the center triangle or up font) puts all the weight in the rear - great for unintentional wheelies but not what an older gentleman might like. I rarely have any issues with a front hub motor loosing traction, even when I am carrying a very heavy load in the rear.

The only possible issue I can think of with a front hub motor on a Landrider would be whether or not the hangers and front fork are alloy or steel. Otherwise you should have no problem. I would also ask Landrider what they think.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:09:46 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Re: Landrider bike exectrified?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 02:40:26 AM »
I took a look at the Landrider site (http://www.landrider.com), and see a couple of issues that that bike presents. If yours is like the ones pictured there it has a suspension fork up front, and that's generally not a good idea with a motorized front wheel. But if you like the Auto-Shift feature, that may not work with a rear wheel kit (at least not without a lot of work.)

The easiest way around this would be to replace the front fork with a steel non-suspension unit and get a front wheel kit for it. Not sure how much a fork would cost, but a local bike shop should be able to help you out with sourcing one and installing it. You'll also need to switch from disk brake to standard brakes on the front as the hub isn't fitted for the disk.

As for the rear wheel kit, I'd recommend against it, even if the Auto-Shift thing isn't an issue for you. I just bought a rear wheel kit and won't get mine on a bike for some time, after some machine shop work and getting the wheel dished. It's definitely not ready for prime time.