Author Topic: Dual Mini 700 c. It Begins! I can't sit on my hands anylonger!!  (Read 37832 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Dual Mini 700 c. It Begins! I can't sit on my hands anylonger!!
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »
This is a quote from a recent email of me telling Andrew. I can't take it anymore! I need a bicycle seat in me rear Quick!

"I just took my 700c off of the hook,. Its in my living room, Just came to my office to get my iphone for a few pictures. The saga begins! I can’t take it anymore!"

Hey anybody want a used 48v1000 700c front motor kit.!!.

Gotta get it started before the wife comes home. "It will be out of here by Tomorrow, Honest. Yes I'll clean up those bottles of motivation as well, Please don't worry. What that? The cost? oh not much really as I will sell the old stuff and maybe a few other things" ;)

Gary
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:32:13 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Dual Mini 700 c. It Begins! I can't sit on my hands anylonger!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Well first off I decide to take it for a boot!  Woohoo! YeeHaaa!! I was riding today!!! It works great!

Do I really want to say goodbye to this Motor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWhF5qtbkHA&feature=youtube_gdata

Gary
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:50:39 PM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:44:34 AM »
This bike I am converting from a front 48v1000w motor to two 36v250w mini motors. A dual mini drive! the picture of two motors shows the size difference from a 48v1000 to a 36v250 mini. Allthough quite dirty, you can see my dropouts in the front forks are still in perfect condition after taking of the 48v1000w. These are the kind of forks needed for a front wheel drive.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:03:43 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:08:32 AM »
First issues! The front motor right out of the box only has one washer on one side and none on the other. I will have to add three washers. To do this on the cable side I will have to remove the white plastic plug so I can feed the washers on then put the plug back on. You can also see the red wire is broken off. This will have to be repaired as well.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:11:26 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:58 AM »
Seems there are washers on the rear motor missing as well and to add washers or the freewheel the white plug also has to come off to allow sliding out the nuts and washers. adding the free wheel, sliding on the washers and then re-attach the plug. Also that nut in the first picture is loose. I wonder if it is to be tightened against the motor or the dropouts. I find it odd that the cable comes out of the freewheel side. All the other motors I have installed the cable comes out the opposite side of the freewheel. I spun the wheels though and you can feel slight motor resitance in one direction and freewheel in the other. Also it freewheels when spun in the direction it would be coasting so the cable is on the correct side.

Gary

Edit: Actually for the back wheel it is one small washer and one larger with a tap for each side. They are there, just didn't realize it at the time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:26:27 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
The motors are on and freewheeling is a beautiful thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bqwn9KHtAM&feature=youtube_gdata

Now for the wiring...

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
Nice thread you've started Gary. I some how feel i'm to blame for this sudden urge :D.  At least it will keep you ticking over whilst the northern hemisphere hides itself from the sun. I've been getting a bit of cabin fever here and have started gathering bits n bobs to build a cheap n cheerful mountain bike with the idea of mini motors in mind ;D.
So glad you've taken the plunge to be the guinea pig on this one.  As always,, expect the unexpected!

Andrew :)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:21:09 AM »
Thats right Andrew! I 'm blaming you and will be sending you the bill  :D

Expect the unexpected is right, I had everything all wired up for a test and the front motor wouldn't do a thing. Checked and rechecked. everything was right. Switched the controllers around and still nothing from the front wheel. Gabbed another from storage plugged it it and off it went. Good thing I had a warranty  ;)

The problem is that was my last 700c front mini. Had to grab from a 26 inch. Oh well took the plunge and took the motor from the 26 inch and relaced it into the 700c. Watched a video  on youtube and did my first wheel mounting. I must say it came out very true too! I surprized myself. I even dished it perfectly.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:14 AM »

Gary,

I'm sure it would have been much quicker and easier to undo six bolts on each of the motors and simply swap the motor and axle assembly from one hub to the other.  ::)

Never mind, at least you've had some fun and learned a new skill at the same time. ;D

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:57 AM »
Actually I knew that , I saw the dissasembled mini pictures in the other thread. I saw no easy or obvious way to open it with out scratching it. I am almost as blind as a bat these days when it comes to looking at things closely. At home here I regulary say to my kids "Hey whos got eyes? can you come and look at this for me?". Also with little time I had to make a move and didn't want to wait for a response. So I was up for the challenge, I watched A video the other day it was so easy to follow and quick!

Also I came to realize I was actually only missing one washer. The front mini washers are much smaller and I mistook two of them together as one. like I said, bad vision. So on the front motors you have 2 small washers on each side. On the rear you have 1 small washer and one thick washer with the flage on each side. If you look at the picture you can see from the factory they put the washers on in the wrong order. I had to add two thick washers on one side in the front to aviod the motor from rubbing on one side. I wasnt surprised by that as I had to use 2 washers on one side for the hbs 48v1000w when it built that. There was plenty of space on the axle, I didnt have to stretch anything. The bike has odd but strong forks. It is not designed for disk brakes so the forks are more in the way. I am sure a bike designed for disk brakes would fit better. The disk brakes on my dual Magic Pie line up fine so I am sure the minis would work as well. Actually If anyone has a picture of a mini with disk brakes I would love to see it.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:00:11 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:41 AM »
Late night test drive!
Got it done, Very messy with the wires though. I just zip tied bundled up wires and the controllers right to the frame for the test ride. Plus I only split the two battery wires and the red and green on the throttle. Still more wiring to do. I Still have to split the brake levers and cruise. Maybe I'll hook up the horn too. I also picture a Cycle Analyst on this bike as well. "The people need their data!". No pictures of that until I clean it up a bit. I'll do some closeups of the wheels in the sunlight when I get the chance. They actually look very nice  :D . I'll be putting the controllers in two pouches then Im sure that very few people will even realize it electric. Maybe I'll make one of those covers with the eyelets for the key ;)

Poor quality video. It is what it is. There will be more to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpJ4UrohYE

Gary
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:02:53 AM by GM Canada »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:36 AM »
Ohhhh good work Gary !!!

So jealous.... You must have nearly worn a hole in that pocket of yours, or maybe there was a big one there the whole time lol

I'm sure that bike looks a treat :D

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
keep the video reviews coming, all we need now are some CA stats :) you're doing an awesome job!

Bespoke bags and covers, oh yes! There's nothing quite like a tailor made bike 8)

Canada does look really dark and chilly this time of year.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
Ohhhh good work Gary !!!

So jealous.... You must have nearly worn a hole in that pocket of yours, or maybe there was a big one there the whole time lol

I'm sure that bike looks a treat :D

Lol, I just went to my inventory for stock. Everything always appears to be free there!

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Dual Mini 700 c. It Begins! I can't sit on my hands any longer!!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
Now would you like stats from one CA or two. I think If I put two CA's on this bike to Monkey will jump out the closest window ;)

Actually took two quick rides this morning with my GPS in hand. One ride at 36 volts and one at 48 volts. But when I was done I realized I had a brake badly dragging so the stats will be incorrect. I'll have to try it again when I get the chance.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:58:22 PM by GM Canada »