Author Topic: Dual Mini 700 c. It Begins! I can't sit on my hands anylonger!!  (Read 37844 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Fast Minis!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
Your bike is looking really neat and tidy now Gary, but I'm now having serious doubts about you:

A little peddling at take off then the rest the mini's are haulin azz!

A little peddling for a little guy!

All those comments you've made about your size have obviously been carefully slipped in to throw us off the scent. You even had me fooled for quite a while, but now we have photographic evidence of your true size...you're actually mini sized, just like those hubmotors. The flag you have on the rear of your trailer is presumably there so that oncoming traffic can actually see you because you're so small. ;D

It also accounts for the very low crossbar on your Joy bike. ;)

Now I'll try being serious for a minute, which it quite a long time for me, as I have a couple of questions for you:

Are you running those 36V minis on a 36V or 48V pack?

How many of the 18 gears do you actually use?

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:50:18 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Dual Mini 700 c. It Begins! I can't sit on my hands anylonger!!
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
And look at at that hour glass figure! Or is it pear shaped? Actually I guess its more like a potato...

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »
Similar to Alan's questions,  can a 48v battery be used on this set-up with the 36v motors? would you need a 48v rated throttle with the kit??

Also, what rear cogs do you use?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 12:57:09 AM »
Ok you all got me. I do not have a 36 volt battery available for use on this bike. The only 36v I have is for the wifes bike and "that bike and battery are not available to you for Testing purposes". So I used a 48 volt off my dual pie. I am only nursing the throttle in that last video on take off but it sure goes. I am sure this is not good for it but I was wondering if I use the USB cable can I safly pull back the power of a 48 volt battery on a 36 volt system?

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Restricting the power for 48V use
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »
And look at at that hour glass figure! Or is it pear shaped? Actually I guess its more like a potato...

I think that's just the way your cape is hanging.

I was wondering if I use the USB cable can I safely pull back the power of a 48 volt battery on a 36 volt system?

According to the Performance figures the 36V minimotor was subjected to a maximum of 13.53Amps @ 36V (487.4 Watts) under test conditions. If you limit your current so that a similar maximum wattage is set (9Amps @ 54V = 486Watts), the gears should be able to cope, but the motor windings may still get warm under continuous low speed high load conditions.

It's interesting to note that the Magic Pie uses 17.12Amps @ 48V (820.26 Watts) or 17.29Amps @ 36V (624.16 Watts) to produce approximately the same 20Nm of torque, but at different wheel speeds (minimotor = 173rpm@36V, Magic Pie = 218rpm@36V and 300rpm@48V).

From the above figures, assuming the minimotor was able to cope with 13.5Amps @ 48V, it should produce 20Nm of torque at around 238rpm, approximately 19mph (30km/h) with the 700c tyres.

Can you give us a rough indication of what your approximate maximum speed is on the 48V pack?

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:46 AM »
 "Low speed high load conditions" what are you implying?  :D Just kidding.

9 amps seems very low, I guess I am used to the pies. But I have no doubt your calculations are correct. The cycle analyst goes on it Tomorrow. I guess it would be the most accurate way of setting max amps. So just to be clear I should set the cycle analyst at max 9 amps and see what happins?  The data is about to flow!

Gary
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:26:56 AM by GM Canada »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 9 Amp limit
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »

Gary, don't forget these minimotor are only 250 Watt motors, and are therefore 4X less powerful than a 1000 Watt Magic Pie.

At 80% efficiency they would require 312 Watts to output 250 Watts at the wheel. So limiting it to 9 Amps @ 54V (486 Watts) would mean that under heavy load, they could be producing 1.55 x more power than their actual rating.

To put it into perspective, a 9 Amp limit on a minimotor would be comparable to putting a 36 Amp limit (1,944 Watts @ 54V) on a Magic Pie! :o

So 9 Amps is not really "very low" when you stop and have a good think about it.;)

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
this is all getting very exciting ;D

So, as the 250w motors use the same external controller as the MP, it is programable? Well, the magic controller certainly has come into its own with this. Fantastic.. I hope I would not need to get a CA..,,,  Saying that, what voltage controller would you need for this to work, a 36 or a 48v, or would it not matter as the voltage can be changed via USB.  I'm now confused.

I'm glad we've got GM Canada as our faithful guinea pig.

So Gary, are you slowly going to be turning up the amps and then catching some big hills? :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:22:56 PM by Andrew »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »
Hi Gary

i think you need to get a saw and a file, and replace those teenie weenie nylon gears with some hardcore metal gears, then we can unleash :)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 04:21:38 AM »
And some earmuffs ;)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
And some earmuffs ;)

and tassles ;D

Any news Gary?  I'd love to see some stats :)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Restricting the power for 48V use
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 02:42:30 AM »

I think that's just the way your cape is hanging.

I guess that cape does cover things well but there is no hiding the shape. Sometimes when I have the cape off and I look back over my shoulder things do look kind of nasty!

Sorry never did get the cycle analyst going. But I started the process tonight and hopefully will have it up and running soon. The temperature dropped here again but it should be good enough for a ride again Tomorrow.

Gary

The walking frame has made a huge difference!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:48:18 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 06:33:37 AM »
Lol Gary you have a very flexible neck there :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
I see Alan has somehow obtained a photo of me sucking in my gut and inserted it into my post. sure it looks good there but it all ends up in the "rear" as you can see In the first photo. Plus you can tell I'm sucking it in by the colour of my face!

I mounted the Cycle Analyst and temporarily mounted my camera in a way that I can video the CA in action. I was all ready to go and RAIN!!! 32k to work and back in the rain at 2 degrees is no party! Oh well maybe on Saturday.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »
Another day of rain and snow again Tomorrow...

I have my camera mounted on my dual mini in a way that my next video will show live stats from the Cycle Analyst.

I realize this is a time related post but some may still find it interesting in the future to see how the weather is at Golden Motor Canada.

If you look to the center of right side of the screen you will find YYZ. That is Toronto International Airport. I live straight south of that near the shore of the lake. My daily ebike comute is from the Lakesore area to just north of YYZ.

Gary

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USMI0127&animate=true

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:49:05 AM by GM Canada »