Author Topic: Using Cell-Log with GM battery  (Read 6932 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Using Cell-Log with GM battery
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »
Hey guys

I'm looking for some confirmation myself :D

Wanted to know if using 2 of these:

Will be okay if I split the GND connection of the balance wires and run 6 x into 1 cell log, then 7 x into the other? >> This is on a GM 48V12Ah battery. I am removing the BMS.

I don't yet have a 13s charger so I will be using the cell wires to charge individually...

Am I missing anything?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:53:22 PM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
Re: Using Cell-Log with GM battery
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
Yes you can use those battery loggers the way you say.
I am not sure but I think those things log temperature cells as well. Lets us know if I am wrong

You will be now infoxicated (too much info about something) on battery data...  ;D

About the charging per cell is ok but if you want to do it accurately you need then 13 chargers same model working at the same time.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
Hey guys

I'm looking for some confirmation myself :D

Wanted to know if using 2 of these:

Will be okay if I split the GND connection of the balance wires and run 6 x into 1 cell log, then 7 x into the other? >> This is on a GM 48V12Ah battery.

Hey Monkey, I've got one of those, a CellLog 8S, I bought it when my USB interface died on my Imax B8 Charger, hoping I could use it to monitor the charging process on my PC again. Unfortunately it does not transmit live information during recording, it saves it to a file which has to be transmitted to the PC after the recording has been stopped, which is not what I had hoped for.

Anyway, back to your suggestion, yes it would be possible to install two of these to your pack to monitor the individual cells.
You would not need to split the GND connection, but you would need to split the eighth cell wire to go to both units.

So you would have GND, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 going to the first unit to monitor the first eight cell groups and  8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and POS going to the second unit to monitor the last five cell groups.

The unit does have a built in warning buzzer, which is not very loud, but it also has an alarm output socket which you could use it to switch a relay if any of the four available alarm settings were triggered:

• Over Voltage - Cell or Pack voltage
  • Low Voltage - Cell or Pack voltage
  • Difference - Cell voltages vary too much or Pack maximum voltage has varied too much
  • Time Over - Safety Timer can be set from 1-999 minutes

I've attached the User's Manual for further information.

Alan

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:50:07 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »
Absolute champion..... thanks a million mate you certainly cleared the mud on that one!! Much appreciated :)

I guess unless I get something of the likes of 13+cell charger, I'm stuck with either charging individually, and if I want balance charge the pack I will need something to cater for the 7 and 6 split, plus run PB leads from the blocks... How I would power the 13s charger would also be another story haha

I do have an Accucell-6/6@ but again I'd have to consider splitting the pack etc. I assume

What I was unsure of is if I ran charge leads from the pack in addition to the balance wires - so it would be a complete pack but have 2 blocks of 6 cells with block charge leads. Sounds a bit messy, but I wouldn't mind having a 3-stage charge using what I have on hand. I'm also not 100% sure on risks of charging the pack directly from the 54.6v charger as I assume without the BMS, regen will be doing this somewhat anyway. I'm steered away from this.

To my understanding, I would need to have the pack voltage along with the balance wires in order to balance/cycle them correct?

Ohhh why can't this pack be like the others and behaveeee lol

Hey thanks again for the cell-log info. cheers