Author Topic: Dropout in forks opening ?? I think ..  (Read 2503 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Dropout in forks opening ?? I think ..
« on: May 17, 2021, 02:35:26 AM »
Hello ..Flat tire today ..I was checking the dropout for spread while I had the wheel loose ..Is this too loose .. sorry for the video quality I had to reduce it to use it here seems like if you play the video twice it looks better ..Thanks for any help I can get

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Dropout in forks opening ?? I think ..
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »
Hi Don,

The play between the axle and your dropouts is nothing to worry about, as there will be no axle movement in relation to the dropouts once the "C" washers and torque arms are installed and all the nuts, bolts and clamps have been properly tightened.  ;)

However, I am concerned that you have not fitted the axle shaped steel washers on the inside of the dropouts in your video:

These inner washers are very important (even more so with aluminium dropouts) as they prevent the dropouts from being damaged when the axle nuts are fully tightened:

I realise that yours is a front motor, but these washers should still be placed on either side of both dropouts, just like they are on the rear motor shown above.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Dropout in forks opening ?? I think ..
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 12:27:46 AM »

Hi Alan ..

Thanks so much for your help .. No one knows about these things .. I need to monitor this forum more and try to help others with what I have learned ...largely from you ..

The forks I have "Steel" are designed as such that the tabbed washers won't have anywhere to tab into ... I tried to send pics but the file is too large and I don't know how to fix that either .. If you really want to see pics I will figure it out..

I am using the C washer in the lawyer Lips ..you told me about ...custom ground to fit inside the "Lips" perfectly .. And then the special flat washers over that .. I could use the tabbed washers here but there is nothing for the tabs to lock into .. Then there's torque arms on both sides ..

Every now and then when I give it some power after coasting or pedaling I think I feel/hear slack being taken up down there ...Probably all in my mind .. I really take it easy on this bike 10 mph average ..It's great for getting across the street or bucking headwinds or hills .. * mile Cruise daily for fun and exercise on my 66 year fat body ..

Thanks Again For The Help ... remember .. All Heroes Don't wear Capes ...