Author Topic: Motor Drag when "Freewheeling"  (Read 2726 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Motor Drag when "Freewheeling"
« on: May 04, 2021, 04:49:54 PM »

Hello all , Think I have the answer to this one already but want to confirm with other Magic Pie owners... This being my 3rd MP motor and second front wheel one I am pretty sure they are going to have a little drag on them even when the battery is off ... right? ... No real problem as mine has never quit in 15 or so years of use between the 3 of them .. Just asking if there is some adjustment in the controller or any secret I don't know about .. All 3 of the MP's I have had have had a little more drag that a wheel without a motor .. I use the 1000 watt front motor now and am very happy with it .. Thanks for any replies I can get ... 

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Motor Drag when "Freewheeling"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:12:43 PM »
Hi Don,

The residual drag that you have experienced is the result of the magnets passing between each of the separate coil sections of the laminated steel core of the stator.
As the Magic Pie is a direct drive motor, the drag caused by the electrodynamic effect is almost unavoidable.

Although, I seem to recall that some external controllers are designed to supply a low current variable voltage to the motor (dependent upon motor rpm) which effectively compensates for the residual motor drag and enables the motor to turn freely when pedalling without using the throttle, making it easier to pedal. Unfortunately, GM controllers don't have this function.

Although the large diameter of the Magic Pie motor produces significantly more torque under power, the larger diameter (and greater number of magnets) also means that the residual drag is more noticeable compared to other smaller diameter direct drive motors.

Most geared hubmotors have an internal freewheel (unidirectional trapped roller clutch) that allows the wheel to freely rotate in the forward direction while the magnets remain stationary along with the stator.

Although the freewheel mechanism greatly reduces the motor drag, it also prevents the motor from being used for regenerative or electrodynamic braking as the wheel is unable to spin the motor in the forward direction.

Alan