Author Topic: Just Made an Order for two 26" MagPies from GM Canada.  (Read 10253 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Just Made an Order for two 26" MagPies from GM Canada.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »
Goit the rims.  They are not super but strong and reliable.  BTW don't take that GM sticker off, some thing to do with the join it looks a bit hmm under the rim stickers..  

LOL Guess what.

Damned GM controllers.  :D  I did expect anything more than everyone else gets here and thats what I got..

First hub pushes 300 watts.  The software works and no change even set at 50 amps.

I made no mistake.  Tried it on a 20 ah Lifepo4 with no BMS.  No swich just straght from pack to Pie.  No sparks or smoke.

This one has to be investigated.  Im not sure about the other hub though.  Im going to put the rim on it and try it out.

The CA works good as does everything else bar the 300 watt motor.  I'll get a new controller for the 300 watt hub.

I got $100 off for both Pie's and a free CA so I more or less got these internal controllers free.  I suspect its a 200 watt EU legal hub.  We will see if I can do the bypass mod, it maybe easier to take the side off than spoke the other hub..

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:17:10 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »
Actually I have what is considered a fully legal road PAB and beginning to warm to the idea.  I think it will do ok with the speed at 48v and like my 20 watt bike be ok for the shops..

Ill run this around for a little while so I can get some stuff done on the other hub like tires and thngs and run some circles in front of the law and let them sniff it out and show them the CA if need be.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
Above I just did a stop stand test by throttle and holding it still I could only get 300 watts.

I just took it for a ride.

:o :o :o :o :o :o  OMG

I was pulling 880 watts.

I must of pulled some stunt as the CA says max speed 589 kms but I averaged 35kph.  Top amps 20 max.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:47:09 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
I just took it for a ride.

dude it's like 2am in QLD now, even later here!! haha late night pie snack huh?

:)

good to hear you got your wheels mate - keep em spinnin

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
I havent even got my lights on but the wife tells me wind resistance is low tonight.  ;D.

Gary tolds me on hub only went up to 20 amps and Im fine with that for the smaller 15ah pack.

Just some wire clean up and reset this back to my settings and this bike is finished.  Ill keep the 15 ah pack on the 20 amp motor leave regen at 0 percent and see how long it lives for.

Thanks Monkey, BTW that solid state relay isnt doing too bad.  ;D

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
Whew! glad to hear the rims arrived.

When I tested those hubs one was about 20 amps, the other over 25. I tested them without using the USB software. Try testing the second hub without saving any parameters in the USB software if im not too late. If they have had the parameters set already try setting it back to 24 volts to see what happens.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »
Took for a 20km trip and used around 230 wh and about 4.4ah leaves me with about 10.6 ah pack.  I put it on the charger for 10 mins I had to rush out again.  That was awesome not to have to wait for the old SLA's to charge up enough.  

What wattage are people pulling on take offs?

This hub has no balls on take offs but unlike the other hubs, if you have got a bit of speed it will accelerate with plenty of torque up hills.  My Pie seems to have a lot of top end torque.

Maybe a little limited on the shunt solders making it good at chopping phase voltages and delivering the torque at high RPM when hall events are many.

I am impressed with the efficiency but seems to use a lot of power to keep its tops speed.  Going up hill at top speed is good.  Even limited to 15 amps cont 23A max top speed up hills is very nice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:26:51 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
I spoked the second rim and used the tune method.  I did half of it not even looking at the rim  It almost came up true.

The spoke pattern is the best Ive seen and ridden.  Very strong.  To say the spoke don't need to be tight would be a little strong. More like you don't need to turn the nipples to many turns to get good results.

Being a narrow rim the deep V rim makes the job solid and I feel very confident all spokes are going to hold strong and live a long life. .
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:00:19 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
I really have to try spoking a rim someday. Everyone makes it sound so simple. One thing I can say about the rims I have hit some serious potholes and there has never been an effect on the rim. My coffee has gone flying and things jump out of my pockets , but the rim still hangs in there.

And yes I've embraced the Picture, at least for the time being. Thank you for that. Where did you find it. My wife is asking how do they know what you look like? Somehow when I look in the mirror I don’t see a super hero. Maybe if I actually put on the outfit, say Halloween is coming....

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 03:14:42 PM »
that's funny as

Gary do you have a cup/drink holder? I don't and I learned the hard way you cannot carry a coffee and operate a thumb throttle pretty much at any speed.... The details of the story were grim... but I can't stop laughing thinking back on it

I think everyone should try it once haha

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
Sure I do. I use it strictly for coffee in the morning, no fun drinks!  ;) I have a steel mug with a screw on top and a hole with a snap down and popup lid. Its the only way to go if you don't want to get sprayed on the big bumps. The reason I have it is so I don't try to hold a coffee in my hand while driving. Its not the throttle I'm worried about its the regen. If I hold the bars with just one hand and touch the brakes the regen leans me forward turning the bars. I learned quickly holding the bars with one hand while cruising at 32kph is a bad idea. I did not have a bad incident though, just a quick warning to wake up!  :o

Gary
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:53:12 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »
Im done playing wif the software this bike is fine,  The new 24v settings at higher amps is giving me good power.  Still a little slow on take offs but I can push 800 watts.

For an internal controller and 15ah 1 C pack Ill be happy with this.

Im going to keep regen disabled. Both of the rims front and back are sooo close to perfect and when I brake its smooth ice but effective.

About 42kph top speed and I'm happy with both hubs.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:59:04 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »
Looks great Leslie! These pictures were a long time coming. I hope you are happy with the result.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »
I got some older pics but they were a little dark so I waited for day.  Plus I wanted to submit a pic of the bike when I decided it was running and looking stable.

I had to dig up an old project box to put the long leads in there and get some plastic ties,  Still a couple of things to install.  Like I waiting for a p7 12 watt LED,

Yes Im happy with the results,  This is the best E-bike Ive ever put together so far,

What got me is how long the batteries  last on these hubs,  the efficiency is good the way they run and it doesn't even get warm.  Seem to let out all the power when the motor is at high RPM so there is good air circulation happening.  Interesting really,

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
I love the connectors.  The first lesson I learned was to use good light or I Marked the connection orientation with some paint so I can easy match the plugs.

If you use the arrows or a mark to match the plugs they seem reliable.

I re-installed pie no.1 and max watts 1196 watts this hub can pull 23 amps max.

Playing with the software settings.

I noticed much power gained at take offs with the 24v setting.

And upping the max amps and cont amps gave more in take offs.  But still equates to a few more max amps peak.  I just set them all to full.

I think as the advert says on the web site 50 amps, These controllers should be shunt limited to 50 amps and then the software is better calibrated.

I think regen is more plausible with a low resistance shunt.  The Battery I own already has a 50 amp shunt, the 40 amp solid state relay, and the "25 amp continuous" thermal breaker, now all this has to add resistance to circuit.

Besides its like there is some sort of smart soft start happening.  No delay to the response on the throttle but a variable duty cycle cut in effect happening.

It seems to limit the current at low RPM which limits the heat the motor makes. Or maybe  I think the controller is choked and the phases events works as a chopper for current to flow better. 

At the lower settings I seemed to go just as fast, use the same watts but it was like a little baby just on take offs.

I tried out the FWD speed scale.  I set it to 0 and the bike doesn't budge.  Im thinking I can set the max speed here.

Hub two will go under deconstruction in the coming days, as I want to test out the 50 amp shunt theory, take some time to find out what I need to do to run this hub at higher power.  Also considering removing the internal controller and boxing it with MP no:2

Bring it on