Author Topic: BEING SAFE WHILE WIRING LITHIUM BATTERIES  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Jory

• Confirmed
BEING SAFE WHILE WIRING LITHIUM BATTERIES
« on: August 05, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
LITHIUM BATTERIES, being so very dense in energy, can fool you into being careless.  They are so compact and quiet, it helps to compare them to a motorcycle 500cc engine turning noisily at 5000 RPM.  That's how much danger you're dealing with.  Or consider them a welder, ready to weld big steel.  If you grip a metal box wrench, tightening a terminal,  and swing it across the other terminal, in a microsecond, it will be white hot and give you a crippling burn.
    Yet once one terminal is totally isolated and insulated, a battery is meek as a kitten; so your initial challenge is to completely isolate one terminal.  First, when you receive your battery, tape up both terminals generously with tape.  Then crimp a lug on your large negative lead, and connect it securely to the negative battery terminal.  Then glue an insulating cap over that terminal.  I use a rubber crutch-tip with duco cement, cutting a notch for the lead to emerge.  The other end of that negative lead I attach to a DC circuit breaker (not an AC house breaker) and tape generously over everything conceivably exposed at that breaker.   With that circuit breaker clicked off, you are home free!  A short circuit is impossible.  Glance at it, periodically, to assure yourself.    Then, as you wire your system, use electrical tape generously, totally insulating every connection as you go.
     Do your battery work in short sessions, so you can keep your mindfullness up.  The minute you detect that you're tempted to cut corners, call it a day!  Finally, remember to keep a fully charged fire-extinguisher near by, wear safety goggles, and possibly heavy gloves.     

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: BEING SAFE WHILE WIRING LITHIUM BATTERIES
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
I have already experienced the huge amount of power that can be instantly delivered by a direct short circuit across a 14 cell 5Ah LiPo pack without a BMS or fuse to limit it:

And I can confirm that a direct short circuit generates an incredible amount of heat in a fraction of a second. ;)

I was wearing safety glasses, but unfortunately I was not wearing protective gloves when I accidentally short circuited the connector.

A blob of molten copper landed on my wattmeter:

Another blob of molten copper landed on my leg!
The burn on my leg would have been a lot worse if I had been wearing shorts instead of jeans, as the blob would probably have embedded itself into my leg just like it did with the wattmeter.  :o

Regarding the fully charged fire extinguisher:
Quote from: batteryuniversity.com
When encountering a fire with a lithium-metal battery, only use a Class D fire extinguisher. Lithium-metal contains plenty of lithium that reacts with water and makes the fire worse.

Alan

Offline Jory

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
thanks Alan....very sobering....two weeks later my finger is still healing......burns heal very slowly...thank heaven I still have 10 fingers...INSULATE EVERYTHING AS YOU GO, EVEN TOOLS.....TURN OFF ALL POWER BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING....many many thanks for your frequent help.....jory

Offline SherylinRM

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »
I have used spray on flexseal to cover terminals in  the past. It is water proof. Very quick and easy.  The biggest problem is getting it off if you  need to do this.
Although the coating is very thin, it sticks better than crazy glue.
So be sure of it when  applying because you will probably not get another chance.
But is is perfect for covering as you go.

Hopefully this helps out :)
I read a book that has "Don't Panic" on the cover ;) LOL