Author Topic: power gauge  (Read 6464 times)

Offline greatbigwave

power gauge
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
Is there an inexpensive device which will easily connect to my GM speed control system, mount on my handlebars and tell me how much juice is left in the battery? 

Thanks,

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: power gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
The kit comes with a "power gauge" that does just that. I am not using the one that came with my kit (it's calibrated for 36 volts). The gage has 3 LED's (full, 1/2, & empty). If you are interested I'll sell it to you for $5 plus shipping.

You can email me at ahend@iserv.net

Andy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:33:34 PM by ahend »

Offline greatbigwave

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »
I actually have the one that came with the kit, and it seems to work,  but I was hoping there was something with a little more detail.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »
That's exactly why I set mine aside. I'm using a Watts Up meter. Not exactly cheap at $53, but very helpful. I can't image the commute without it.

Andy

Offline shakkan

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:19:48 PM »
andy,do you put in between the battery and controller-in series or paralel?

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:45:51 PM »
My Watts Up meter is connected in series. Both the positive and negative leads are wired through. The positive lead feeds from my battery, through a 100A contactor, then a circuit breaker, through the meter and into the controller. The negative lead feeds directly from the battery through the meter and into the controller.

You can, and I'm planning on, wiring just the negative lead through the meter and running a small gage power wire to the source + connection, the load + connection would not be required. This "remote" configuration seems a bit safer as the meter is right there between my hands and face. You can see the different connection diagrams from my link above.

Andy