Author Topic: is the controller really needed?  (Read 5364 times)

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
is the controller really needed?
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
what is the output of the controller to the motor? does the controller controls the switching of the phases or  does it simply supply the motor with a pulsewidth modulated dc and the phase switching is taken care inside the motor it self?
because it might not be that difficult to design a simple pwm controller (without speed limiting).
does any one have an oscilloscope handy and can do some testing?

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: is the controller really needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
The motor does not run on a 2-wire PWM DC current, it is brushless.  Switching of the 3 wiring phases is handled by the controller, not the motor.  The hall sensors in the motor provide a position signal to the controller.

You might be able to duplicate the functionality with a custom built controller.  Starting points for your custom design might include the OSMC project and a Light Electric Vehicle controller being built by FrankG (here: http://www.theworkshop.ca/energy/picox/4/picox4.htm).  I believe both designs are for brushed motors, so you will need to make the jump to 3-phase brushless motors.  A gentleman on the Endless Sphere forums has posted pictures of his own custom designed controller, which I believe is a brushless motor controller, but he has not posted schematics or source code.  I don't think he ever will.

You may want to get this information confirmed, but I believe the motor is wired in wye configuration, and the hall sensors are spaced at 120 degrees of phase.  Hopefully the info helps for your custom design.

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »
btw, what about warranty? does goldenmotor offer any warranty?

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »
which means?!

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
"which means?!"

Good luck on getting warranty support.  Consider yourself fortunate if sales@goldenmotor.com even acknowledges your e-mail reporting a problem.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:59:03 PM by OneEye »

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 05:50:44 PM »
mmmmmmm, so lets hope for the best.