Author Topic: what is the range for these kits?  (Read 6045 times)

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
what is the range for these kits?
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:38:35 AM »
i am from malta (europe) and i'm considering to buy a 36V/500W kit for my bike.
I weigh about 80kgs. I think I will start by using SLA since they are the cheapest option. the trip form home to university and back is about 20km (12.5Miles). there are a couple of hills in the way but not too steep. considering the cutoff voltages etc, what size (in Ah) of batteries will I need? and how much will they cost?

do you have any suggestions?

one last thing, is there any possibility that I could regret buying a golden motor ebike kit?

Offline norkmeister

Re: what is the range for these kits?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »
I have the 500W 36V kit with a 7 Ah LiFePO4 battery from the Australian GM distributor (who provides excellent pre and after sales service I might add).  This is the battery http://www.ev-power.com.au/-Lithium-Ion-Batteries-for-Electric-.html

I have posted quite a bit about my battery life at mu blog here http://ebike2work.blogspot.com/ but the general gist is that I can get:
16-19 km unassisted, depending on hill and headwinds
~25 km assisted.

I think I can improve the 25 km unassisted if I were to get a bigger top chain ring at the front.  At the moment my top cruising speed on flatish downhills is 38-40 kph.  After this I really have to sprint to go any faster and this puffs me out quickly.  My top chain ring is 44 teeth.

I liked the idea of the LiFePO4 battery because:
A: it was lighter
B: although the up-front cost was higher at ~1000 charges the overall cost was lower.

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:02:35 AM »
are the prices shown in Australian dollars? does the charger of the 36V LiFePO4 BATTERY AND CHARGER (P36V7A) balance the cells? or is the internal battery management board that does that? do you ship to Malta? and what would be the shipping cost?

Offline norkmeister

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »
I am not the proprietor.  I do know there are some smarts inside the battery case.  Best to ask Rod from EV-Power on the contact page of his site.

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
one question to MEB, are the batteries you're using SLAs? what range do you get with a single charge? because I think I found some relatively cheap SLAs in malta which are 18Ah.

PS:any one who has this setup can answer my question. :D

Offline sdalli

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:01 AM »
and what range did you manage to get with these batteries?