Author Topic: Replacing SLA with lifepo4  (Read 13893 times)

Offline andre

Re: Replacing SLA with lifepo4
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »
Yes that the aim, I will go to charge every two three night instead of each nicht, and presumably I believe, would give longer life to the battery (which is still far to be sure because of the small amount of power back while doing regen at any slow down phase....?, who knows?). Any way, it is a real happiness to slow down smoothly by the reversed engine instead of just putting calories out by mechanical braking. the transition is soft, there is a slight delay between motor and regen phases, mostly due to to magnetic field reversal inside the motor, I presume. But when it slow down (regen) you really feel it! Regarding the contact, I took out the contactors delivered inside the brake lever and glue them on my the bottom of my shimano combined brake +speed selector levers. Any time I slow down sufficiently the the trottle ( if unsufficient, I'm only I free wheel, which some time could be appreciated), or any time I brake, this will go automatically to regen phase, I also drove a bionx (matra bike) for testing phase, and mine works pretty much the same way, except that I have not the famous fashion e control with lcd display.... which for me is more than a gadget once you have found the real working setting. However, the intend was to have a fully suspended bike (front and rear) and a little more power than proposed here in france either for battery and for engine (also beneficial in reverse phase) and on top to limit the whole price to approximately one third of the matra bike!!!! and I'really happy: that works!!! 

Perhaps one day I will buy a standard controler to check if I reach any higher top speed, but this is far to be sure, according our discussion. Also, bing installed on a mountain bike with front and rear suspension, the wight should be around 28.5-29kg, battery included (15kg bike + 8kg motorized wheel+5.5 kg battery)

Best regards,

Andre.

Offline Draggin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Replacing SLA with lifepo4
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 04:34:00 AM »
     I'm glad to hear that the regen units are good.  Thank you for the description.  I guess people only talk about the bad stuff.  It sounds like you now your bike pretty good, and it sounds like you are pretty happy with it.  I am happy now that my axle problems are sorted out.  I find it surprising that the performance is as claimed maybe even a little better.  So far the performance of the LiFePo4 seems to be as claimed or a little better.  So don't tell anybody or everyone will want one.  Salute, Andre, Canada.