Author Topic: Front Hub Measurements and Front Fork Width Requirement  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
Front Hub Measurements and Front Fork Width Requirement
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:41:59 PM »
I have a copy of a drawing from the GoldenMotor wedsite that shows the hub motor itself is only 70mm or 2.76 inches wide and 7.5 inches or 191.5mm in dia at it's thickest point. My forks are plenty wide enought at the dropouts but taper closer in as they go up. If this drawing is correct I only need a 2.8 inch distance between the forks 3.75 inches or 96mm up from the dropouts. Can the hub motor be too close to the forks to cause problems if they are not rubbing or hitting the forks? If my drawing or measurements are not correct for the current GoldenMotor front hub motors, can someone please tell me the absolute minimum fork width requirement at the minimum required distance up the fork from the dropouts. Thank You Gary

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Front Hub Measurements and Front Fork Width Requirement
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:37:50 PM »
Hi Gary,

Absolute minimum is 4 inches from axle where you need an absolute minimum of 3 inches clearance between the forks. Since my MTB has front shocks and the tubes are larger I only have about 3/16 spacing between the hub covers and the forks on both sides. In my opinion this is too little clearance but I like my bike and I like the motor and I have had not problems or issues with anything yet.

MEB
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:45:26 AM by myelectricbike »