Author Topic: Pedelec System  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Chris

Pedelec System
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »
Hi all,

I am about to order a couple of front wheel kits and was considering also having two of the Pedelec Systems. These would make it legal to use the bikes in france (where we holiday)

My question is, does any body know if you can turn off the pedelec system, to just use the motor as normal once we are back in the UK? or once fitted does it have to be used all the time? ie keep peddling!

Thanks, chris

Offline dlantz

Re: Pedelec System
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 01:18:24 PM »
The controller has a separate connector for the pedelec system, so you would just unplug it when not needed... I'm assuming.
--Dave

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
Of course, as long as you keep pedalling when you have the throttle on while in France, what Gendarme is going to pull you over to verify the throttle won't engage without pedalling?  The border control agents certainly aren't going to bother to check.  Although you are probably right to just play it safe and put the system on. 

What are the motor power limits in the UK and France for a street-legal bicycle?

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28:50 PM »
Thanks for the info, I hoped it would be as easy as pulling the plug.

The uk rules are:
# The bicycle weighs less than 40kg without its rider. (Should be no problem)

# It cannot exceed 25kph - about 15.5mph - under power.  - you can use the pedals to exceed 20mph. (hopefully ththe police will not radar gun me!!)
# It has usable pedals Many electric bikes and scooters come with basic pedals just to keep within the rules and are too heavy to ride.

# Its motor has a rated output of less than 0.2kW (i.e.200 Watts) or 0.25kW for three-wheeled electric vehicles (i don't think many police carry volt/watt meters  ;) )