Author Topic: Brake functions for the VEC controllers  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Mickwah

• Confirmed
Brake functions for the VEC controllers
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »
Brake operations

Hi.  Has anyone had experience using the brake functions for the VEC controller?  The connection diagram (https://www.goldenmotor.com/controllers/VEC%20Controller%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg) refers to a brake (GND/+5V) and an 'optional high brake' (12V).  I have been unable to determine their function from the available documentation; ie. are they inputs or outputs, analog or digital, etc etc.  I would be most grateful to anyone who may be able to shed some light on how and when to use these features — ie. is a a park brake / an emergency brake / outputs for brake lights / can it be applied in varying amounts (similar to how the throttle is variable and not just on or off), etc.

Thanks!

Mickwah

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Brake functions for the VEC controllers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Hi Mickwah andto the forum,

The brake switch is used to automatically disable the power going to the motor and engage the regenerative braking (EBS) when the brakes are applied.
With the internal Vector controllers on the GM hubmotors the function is either On or Off rather than being variable, so I'm guessing that it will probably be the same (just On or Off) on the larger external Vector controllers too. :-\

If your vehicle already has a 12V brake light system you can simply use the 12V connection from the brake light to control the regen/EBS via the +12V high brake wire.
Alternatively, the +5V and GND connections are simply switched together to activate the regen/EBS through a separate brake switch.

The brake switch also disengages the cruise control if it is active when the brakes are applied.

Alan

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:35:16 PM by Bikemad »