General Category > User Guides/Catalog

HPM5000B wiring diagram for USA

<< < (3/3)

Cornelius:
Have you tested the motor with a rotor at all?

I suspect that you will have problems getting it to work as a windgen at all, sorry to say. The motor has a potentional to generate closer to 5kW, but that would be at 3600+ rpm. A rotorblade closer to 17-18 feet in 11-12m/s would be required to get that kind of power, and a rotor that size have a usual speed at 80-120rpm in such windspeeds. Gearing are usually out of the question for us tinkerers at those power levels, besides, it adds noise and reduces efficiency.

If you use a smaller rotor to get higher rpm, the rotor would probably never get out off stall...

Sorry, I don't mean to be pessimistic, but there are a lot of things to learn before managing to make a working windgen. :)

But a bit more on topic:
Being a 3-phase star-connected 'generator' (for your usage), you can calculate DC voltage (The voltage you get at a given rpm after rectifying all three phases) by measuring AC voltage between any 2 of the tree phase-wires. Multiply this voltage by 1.73 to get 3-phase AC voltage, and then multiply that with 1.41 to get rectified DC voltage.

(1-phase AC *1.73) * 1.41 = DC out

Now, if you use a drill with a known top speed, and connect it to the motor and run it at full speed and measure the ac-voltage, you will have a very good idea on what speed you'd need for your voltage.

Edit:
All this said, that motor would probably make an excellent generator mounted on a Lister diesel or on a Briggs&Stratton... ;)

Bikemad:

--- Quote from: Cornelius on June 28, 2010, 08:31:58 PM ---Now, if you use a drill with a known top speed, and connect it to the motor and run it at full speed and measure the ac-voltage, you will have a very good idea on what speed you'd need for your voltage.

--- End quote ---

Cornelius, this was originally discussed in another topic back in August last year, and I indicated at the time that this motor was not ideal for a wind generator:

--- Quote from: Bikemad on September 04, 2009, 10:40:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: solardan on September 04, 2009, 07:52:44 PM ---19.98 VAC at 2000 RPM

--- End quote ---

Dan,

If those figures are correct, your wind turbine would have to be geared up very high to spin the motor in excess of 7,200rpm in order to generate 72V.

Wind turbines don't like too much speed!

I think this motor is probably not the best choice for a wind turbine project.

Alan

--- End quote ---

If you're still interested, the original post can be seen here.

Alan

P.S. According to your figures, it should produce 48.73VDC @ 2000 rpm.
So, to produce the required 72VDC output would only require 3000 rpm not 7200. :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version