Author Topic: Will this wiring cause issue? (Check diagram attached)  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Billyzee

• Confirmed
Will this wiring cause issue? (Check diagram attached)
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
When the push toggle is off there is still power to the alarm system, now if the alarm triggers and it sends voltage to the light to flash, will that flow in the motor as well and cause issues? Thanks.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Will this wiring cause issue? (Check diagram attached)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »

Hi Billy,

If you add a couple of diodes (as shown below) it should work without problems:

The diodes would need to be rated for at least 60 Volts and 1~2 Amps (dependant upon the current being drawn by the LED light).

It's very unlikely, but if the solid state switch switches the negative lead instead of the positive lead, you would also need to place another diode (in the opposite direction to Diode B) on the negative lighting wire coming from the control harness to prevent current from flowing from the battery to the controller via the thin lighting wire.  ;)

Alan

Offline Billyzee

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »
Thank you for your response, I've went ahead and bought some max 60v 5A diodes and will place them as you said. I also asked Luna about the switch and the switch indeed switches the negative so I will be placing a diode in the opposite like you said. Thanks again, I've asked on 4 different forums but got no response so it makes me very happy to be here :)

Offline Billyzee

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:13:59 AM »
I was looking at blocking the negative from getting into the motor from the battery and so wouldn't I have to just place a diode in the direction like diode B? that would isolate the motor from any connections other than the solid state switch wouldn't it?

Offline Billyzee

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 01:19:43 AM »
Or wait, do I even need to connect the horn negative from the motor? cause the light will have negative connected at all times from the alarm unit right?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 11:05:38 AM »
Wouldn't I have to just place a diode in the direction like diode B? that would isolate the motor from any connections other than the solid state switch wouldn't it?

No, it must be in the opposite direction to #diode B because it on the ground wire not the supply wire.
If it were fitted incorrectly (as per your amended diagram) it would allow current from the battery + to flow through the controller and then return back to the battery - through the diode, alarm and DC-DC converter.

If you then tried to operate the throttle, any high motor current would instantly melt the thin black ground wire that would effectively be completing the circuit.

It would also prevent the light from working when the bike was powered up if it wasn't grounded through the Alarm connection.

Or wait, do I even need to connect the horn negative from the motor? cause the light will have negative connected at all times from the alarm unit right?

Provided the ground connection from the alarm is a permanent ground (not just switched to ground under alarm conditions) then the black wire going to the control harness (and the third additional diode) would not need to be fitted.  ;)

Alan