Author Topic: 48v10Ah battery problems  (Read 8201 times)

Offline KimABQ

• Confirmed
Re: 48v10Ah battery problems
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 03:08:08 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Adamsavage79
The controller was barely warm to the touch.

Bikemad
Thanks for confirming that the thermal protection should normally prevent controller failure.
The test rig simply suspends the wheel so there is no load other than the wheel itself and no air flow from traveling. The room was 90F+ but Albuquerque summer temps are often in the 90s to 100s so these conditions may challenge the system. And the fact it is dry heat will not help!  ;)
My experience with digital thermistors is that they are binary - they either work properly or not at all. I will go with that idea and do an early morning test ride like Bikemad suggests to see how it performs. I think I will go gradually but continuously uphill just in case it quits. Then the return ride would be much easier!  ;D

However, the new BMS is working wonderfully!  8)

Kim

Offline KimABQ

• Confirmed
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 04:40:19 AM »
I took the trike out yesterday for a test ride. Air temp was low 80'sF. I rode about 1/4 mile and the motor quit. Turned around to go back and the motor started again when I was nearly home. It has to be a controller temperature issue so I just ordered another controller from Gary because I believe I damaged this one when the brake was engaged while running the motor.
We'll see if this new controller cures the current problem.
I'm thinking about converting the front brake to hydraulic to avoid a potential repeat of the cable causing the brake to engage. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I set up an emergency brake on a hydraulic system?
Meanwhile, battery charges to 58.2v and all cells seem happy! New BMS is awesome!

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 04:45:21 AM »
I'm Curios, is the wire harness warm to the touch if the bike is not in use, but plugged in ? Also after the motor quits, how hot does the controller or motor feel ? The motor should feel almost hot and that's normal if you ride it hard. If it's burning hot, then you would have a problem. I'm more inclined to believe the controller is the problem. I have glitchy controller myself, but it works well enough that's simply not worth the time and effort to figure out why it's glitchy.

Also, just how much was your brakes preventing your wheel from turning ?

Offline KimABQ

• Confirmed
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »
I'm Curios, is the wire harness warm to the touch if the bike is not in use, but plugged in ? Also after the motor quits, how hot does the controller or motor feel ? The motor should feel almost hot and that's normal if you ride it hard. If it's burning hot, then you would have a problem. I'm more inclined to believe the controller is the problem. I have glitchy controller myself, but it works well enough that's simply not worth the time and effort to figure out why it's glitchy.

Also, just how much was your brakes preventing your wheel from turning ?

The controller and motor never got hot, just mildly warm to the touch. The wiring harness has no indication of warmth at all. I too believe it is the controller now so I ordered a new one. The out of balance battery  caused by the bad BMS kept my attention and masked the controller problem but the new BMS is perfect. Sometimes trouble shooting is just one step at a time.  ???

I have now had the controller in and out several times and am getting pretty good at it, so if I were closer to you I would be glad to help!  ;)

The brake was engaging enough to make it eventually get hot but I could still rotate the wheel. I actually smelled it which is what caught my attention.

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 11:38:01 PM »
Does the controller cut out if the wheel is off the ground ?

Offline KimABQ

• Confirmed
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »
Does the controller cut out if the wheel is off the ground ?

Yes

New BMS and controller fixed the drop out problem. Continuous journey for over an hour with no problems!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
Kim, it's good to know that the replacement controller has finally sorted the cutting out problem.

Alan