Author Topic: Hydraulic Disc Brake Cut Sensors  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Mgizen

• Confirmed
Hydraulic Disc Brake Cut Sensors
« on: May 10, 2020, 03:41:04 AM »
I'm currently running a Magic Pie 4 with 48 v 10ah battery. I removed my brake lever supplied with kit. Installed some hydraulic disc brakes. I know the original brake levers have a three pin connector used but are using a micro switch in lever for motor cut. I have been looking are brake sensors from AliExpress which have a three wire, three pin connector I assume it's a hall sensor because of the magnetic supplied to attach for brake lever. Can you please confirm if this type of sensor is compatible with the Magic Pie 4 control. I understand come from controller is wired for running a hall type brake sensor. Please help with any input. Thanks

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Hydraulic Disc Brake Cut Sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
Hi Mgizen.  I have Exactly the same problem . I built my own system about a year ago with a Hallsensor ( could have used Reed valves) without thinking  about compatibility !
I know I need a +5v  to supply the sensor but figured I just need to close the switch during braking for motor cutout.

My project stalled due to lack of time and the fact I need to figure out  how to construct a 48v LiFePo battery that can fit  on the frames lower tube- I rather not go with  a litium ion shark battery pack as I already own one  bike with LiFePo - unfortunately with a Magic Pie and the 15aH battery in the back it is back heavy.

Being ready to resume my project with an Edge + Cycle analyst v3 I also would very much like to know if Hall sensors for brakes works or not ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Hydraulic Disc Brake Cut Sensors
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »
As far as I am aware, a Hall Sensor can be used instead of a simple switch to operate the regenerative braking and power cutoff feature.

GM Canada actually supply hydraulic brake kits with integrated Hall Sensors and magnets which are supplied pre-wired to plug directly into the MP4/5, SP4/5 or MP Edge brake connectors:

When I first discovered the +5V feed in the brake connector wiring I initially hoped this would allow variable regen to be used, but I'm pretty sure that they are digital Hall Sensors simply function as a solid state contactless switch (either fully On or fully Off).

Having unsuccessfully used a potentiometer to try and control the level of regenerative braking by varying the brake signal output voltage, I am pretty sure that even an analogue Hall Sensor would still behave the same as a simple On/Off switch when used with the Magic Pie controller, as there is no provision within the controller to vary the braking effect based on the signal voltage.
While the output signal voltage remains above the trigger voltage, the braking function will remain turned Off, but as soon as the signal voltage drops below the trigger voltage, the braking function would instantly be switched fully On.

Alan