Author Topic: Can the VEC240 48 Volt controller run on a 36 Volt battery?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Benarif

• Confirmed
Can the VEC240 48 Volt controller run on a 36 Volt battery?
« on: August 08, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
Hi Alan,
for the VEC240/48Volt controller: In an old post was the discussion about the battery-48V to reduce to 36Volt;
exist a way to programming the controller for these 36Volts;  now the switchoff begins with 42Volts .

The 16 Blink are with the USB-connection in all modes of operating (without batt. or with batterie) no working at the motor....

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can the VEC240 48 Volt controller run on a 36 Volt battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
Hi Peter,

If you are able to select a Nominal battery voltage (V) of 36V it should automatically set the low voltage protection to 32V:

Unfortunately, I don't have one of these controllers to try, so I don't know if it will allow 36V to be selected.  :-\

Alan

Offline Golden Motor CA

• Authorised Dealer
  • Golden Motor Canada
    • Golden Motor Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 12:54:33 AM »
Hi Alan and Peter

I do not think this controller can be set to 36v.

I have not seen that yet. I can play around with the software in the next couple days and report back.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
Peter, have you tried disabling the low voltage protection by setting the Low voltage protection enable parameter to 0:Disable to see if the motor will run below 42V?
Admittedly, this is not ideal, but it might allow you to use a 36V battery.  :-\

According to the 48V settings, the non-adjustable minimum working voltage appears to be 30V:

Therefore it should be possible to operate a 48V controller on a 36V battery if the settings could be lowered to the required levels, but I'm guessing that the controller may require different firmware to allow the settings to be lowered sufficiently for 36V use.

I'm not sure if regen will work below 42V as the tooltip text for the Low voltage protection value states that "When lower than that voltage,controller will stop for protection":

If the controller stops for protection because the battery voltage falls below 42V, presumably it would be unable to control the regenerative braking, therefore I don't see the point of the controller still working at 30V if it cannot provide power to the motor or allow regen when the battery voltage is below 42V. ::)

Alan

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:18:26 AM by Bikemad »