Author Topic: 48V 5kW VEC300 PI-800 throttle controlling problem  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Tomahawk

• Confirmed
48V 5kW VEC300 PI-800 throttle controlling problem
« on: July 27, 2020, 05:52:06 AM »
Hello everybody, I have a problem controlling the speed of my self made electrified heyturning machine and probably setting the right values for the setup with PI-800 (I miss a manual or help for the parameters). I am using a thumb throttle but either the machine is running too fast or it stands still. there is no response to intermediate positions of the throttle. I have also tried to setup cruise control resulting in no response if switching at intermediate speed to hold the speed. I have also tried to use a poti (5K) parallel to a  switch in the signal line of the throttle to limit the speed, without success. But I have to say I need full power the get the machine running but I cannot go back with speed to a suitable speed. Its on off. What could be wrong? Can the speed set (limited) to a cerain value? Would be fine I someone could help me on this! regards

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 48V 5kW VEC300 PI-800 throttle controlling problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

I seem to recall that the VEC controllers use direct torque control to vary the motor's power instead of its actual speed, in which case you would need sufficient load on the motor to be able to regulate the speed.
If there is no load on the motor, the rpm will simply increase to maximum rpm until the motor is loaded sufficiently to start drawing higher current.
Do you know how much current your motor is using at full speed?

Having said that, it appears that there may be different versions of some of the VEC controllers:
With the old vec200 if you turn the throttle without load you cannot control the speed of the Motor .
Now with the new one it is possible to Control the Motor without load .

I'm not sure whether lowering the Forward Speed ratio (%) will reduce the maximum rpm with no load on it, but it might be worth lowering it to see if it helps.

Perhaps you could try asking someone on the goldenmotor.com WebChat (LIVE SUPPORT) or send an email to sales@goldenmotor.com with details of your problem.

Alan

Offline Tomahawk

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:10:46 AM »
Thanks Alan for your reply, In the meanwhile I have solved the problem by just placing the phase wires accordingly to the wire diagram. Now it is running as it is supposed to do  :D. The reason I have changed phase wires, when I was first trying out to run the machine, was that I was used to change the direction of the motor by changing phase wires.  ....luckily nothing got damaged. Now I am using the reserve switch to run forward.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
Thanks for the update, it's always good to have feedback and even better to establish what the cause of the original problem was.  ;)
Unfortunately this very useful piece of information is not always available on many threads on the forum, as the original posters often don't bother to update the thread with this very important piece of information. Even if none of the suggestions worked, it would still be very helpful to know.
I guess it could just be that they followed the advice given and it has cured their original problem, and they therefore no longer require further assistance, but this is not very helpful to others experiencing the same problem if they don't know which of the suggestions actually worked. They might have to go through several unnecessary procedures/checks until they eventually find the same solution, instead of just following the most likely suggestion/solution that previously worked for someone else with exactly the same problem.

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must be swapped on the Hall sensor connector.
As you found out, it does not work if you just swap the Phase wires without also swapping the Hall Sensor wires at the same time. ;)

The cruise button and regenerative braking (EBS) will only work in the forward direction, so if you wanted to use the cruise button as a throttle hold to maintain a set rpm you would have to swap the wires as stated above to enable the cruise control to operate.

With the motor running in the correct forward direction, you could then install an emergency stop button to short out the two brake wires when operated, enable the EBS enable and set the Deceleration (rpm/s) to 1200. This should allow the machine to be stopped as quickly as possible in an emergency situation.

If you find it is taking a long time to go from zero to maximum rpm, you might want to try increasing the Acceleration (rpm/s) setting. The VEC300 controller parameters that I am currently looking have it set to 200, which would take 20 seconds for the motor to go from a standstill to 4000 rpm. ???

You might also want to set the Forward Speed ratio (%) to limit the maximum speed or your machine if it is currently spinning too fast at full throttle.

Alan