Author Topic: V300 with Hub motor  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Pcgayan

• Confirmed
V300 with Hub motor
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:02:18 AM »
Hi, Guys,
I have V300 with Hub motor https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/rear-48v-1000w-motor-wheel.html and 48V 20A Lipo. I have used V300 with 3KW motor super fine for some time without any issues.

My problem is above Hub motor increases speed to maximum and can not control RPM with throttle control. (Which it works super fine with my 3KW motor from Golden motors) .
Hence I have configured the following way to make it go in a decent manner but I Still need to keep accelerate and deaccelerate to control speed which is ugly.

My settings on top of default:

Rate motor speed (rpm) 10
Starting phase current 10
Rated phase current 10
Acceleration (rpm) 100
Deceleration (rpm) 100

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: V300 with Hub motor
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
I don't how much difference this will make, but did you set the Number of pole pairs to suit the pole pairs in the hubmotor or is it still set at 4 as per the 3kW motor?

I don't know how many magnet pairs your particular hubmotor has, but you can use a voltmeter to measure the pulses from a single hall sensor signal wire in one complete revolution of the wheel.
If the voltmeter alternates between high and low (5V~0V) 24 times per revolution, your motor will have 24 pole pairs.  ;)

The GM hubmotors contain 10, 20, 23, 24 or 28 pole pairs (20, 40, 46, 48 or 56 magnets) determined by the motor's diameter.

Have you checked that the alterations to your parameter settings have actually been saved correctly by the controller by reloading the settings from the controller to make sure they have changed?

Will the controller accept a lower starting phase current than 10A or is that as low as it will go?

Have you tried lowering the Battery drawn current limit (A) to 30~40 Amps?

Unfortunately, it may simply be that the stator windings in the hubmotor are not compatible with the vector controller's sensing requirements.
I encountered similar problems with speed regulation on my Magic Pie III when I installed a Magic Pie 4 vector controller. I eventually gave up because I was unable to get the motor to run in an acceptable manner.  :(

Alan

Offline Pcgayan

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
Thank you for the very quick reply Alan you have been very helpful always.

1. The number of pole pairs: I tried setting like 8, 12 but did feel any difference. I am was not sure about the poles. as you gave instructions I will try out revolution strategy and get back to you.

2. Alterations to your parameter settings: yes confirmed as you told and I am sure its saved. I can see different start spining speed changes as I change those params.

3. Starting phase current than 10A : it does. 1A to 20A. did not show any changes  :(

4. Battery drawn current limit (A): I did not try below 20A, I will try out and get back to you.

5. Stator windings in the hubmotor are not compatible: This is my fear  :( :( :( :(. I will try out above and get back to you.

Offline Pcgayan

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Hi Alen,

I tried

1. The number of pole pairs: I found it had 12 poles as you instructed, it helped for better torque power when I treid mountains. but did not help with thorttl issue.

4. Battery drawn current limit (A): from 1A to 20A but did not help with thorttl issue.  :-[

5. Stator windings in the hubmotor are not compatible: I think this is the issue and I am planning to buy new controller, hence can u reccomand controller with 48V/1000W please?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 08:42:58 AM »
Stator windings in the hubmotor are not compatible: I think this is the issue and I am planning to buy new controller, hence can u recommend controller with 48V/1000W please?

I have never used an external controller myself as all of my GM motors have internal ones.
Several forum members have used Infineon controllers with good results.

More information can be found here and here.

Alan