Author Topic: Restricting throttle to 6 kph  (Read 2368 times)

Offline ChrisBTGermany

Restricting throttle to 6 kph
« on: July 05, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »
I am trying to restrict the maximum speed when using the throttle (without pedalling) to 6 kph (48 rpm) because of legal restrictions in Germany. When setting "throttle valid speed (rpm)" in the Android app, it is not saved and reset to the default value of 0, while all other parameters are saved correctly. I managed to restrict the maximum speed to 25 kph, but I further need to restrict the throttle speed to 6 kph. Am I looking at the wrong parameter or do I need to change something else in advance? Also, "throttle enable" and "PAS enable" seem to have no effect.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Restricting throttle to 6 kph
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
Hi Chris andto the forum.

I don't think you will be able to do this using the programming software and it will probably have to be modified physically.

Check out this post for details of a simple throttle limiter, but you may need to use a higher resistance potentiometer (10K instead of 5K) to slow it all the way down to 6km/h
Unfortunately, the above limiter has to be manually selected and it would seriously limit the amount of motor power available at low speed.  :(

I'm guessing that your law allows the full legal power limit to be controlled via the throttle below 6km/h without pedalling, but can the throttle still be used above 6km/h as long as you continue to pedal, or can the throttle only be used for starting off until the pedal assist takes over?

Alan