Author Topic: New member - A few questions about 10kW motor and VEC500 controller  (Read 2589 times)

Offline DriveManiac

• Confirmed
Hello guys,
I am a new member of the forum. I bought the VEC500 controller and the 10kw BLDC motor.
I have few questions, just to make sure I am doing everything correct.
About the motor: I noticed there are 2 sets of phase wires and 2 hall sensor wires. In order to achieve the full power, we need to connect both sets to the controller or not?
About the controller: I need to change the primary direction to the motor to ccw. I read in the forum how to do this (not from the switch) in order my regen braking to work, by swapping the phases and the hall sensor wires. My question is regarding to the brake switching. Is it just on/off function by connecting both wires? Because the diagram says +5v and ground, so I am kind of confused and don't want to short them if this is wrong and burn something inside.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member - A few questions about 10kW motor and VEC500 controller
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 11:32:16 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

The 10kW motor contains two separate stator assemblies, placed either side of a single rotor equipped with magnets on both sides.

Both sets of Phase wires must be connected to the controller, but only one set of Hall sensor wires is required, the other unused connector should remain easily accessible for backup purposes in case of failure of one of the Hall sensors (or the temperature sensor) on the connected set during use.

In the event of a Hall sensor or temperature sensor failure, you simply plug in the other set and you're on your way again.

Another advantage with this dual stator setup is that dual controllers can be used for increased power and/or cooler operation of the controllers, as they would both share the load equally.

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation from the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must also be swapped on the Hall sensor wiring.

I recommend swapping the wires on the controller side of the Hall sensor connector so that the motor and/or controller can be replaced at a later date without having to worry about transposing the Hall sensor wires again, unless you fit a different controller which requires a different wiring harness.  ::)

If the pins can be removed easily from the connector, this would be the obvious way of transposing the Green and Yellow wires, but if the pins are not easy to remove, you may have to cut the two wires to transpose them before soldering and insulating the new joints, ideally with suitable pieces of heat shrink tubing that you remembered to slide onto the wires before soldering them together.  ;)

However, if you swap the wires on the motor side of the connector, you should transpose the Green and Yellow wires on both sets of Hall sensor wires to ensure that the Hall sensor sets could still be quickly swapped over at any time without having to worry about transposing the Green and Yellow wires at that time.

The Blue/White brake wire labelled "+5V" is a bit confusing as I would describe it as a "brake signal wire" which is pulled to ground to activate the regenerative braking function.

The +12V high brake(optional) wire allows a +12V switched supply from a vehicles existing 12V brake light switch to be used to activate regen, instead of grounding the +5V Blue/White brake wire with a separate brake switch.

Alan

Offline DriveManiac

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
Thank you for the complete answer Alan!
I appreciate your help!
All is wired up correctly now and motor is working flawlessly.
BUT it seems like I have an issue with connecting the controller to the software provided. I am using the USB cable provided. I watched carefully youtube videos how it has to be done with switching on/off the battery, but looks like I have a problem.
I noticed that as soon as I connect the USB to the laptop I see in the device manager a new "USB-Serial CH340" pops up, which is OK. But when I connect the plug to the controller, that port instantly disappear and no connection can be done.
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or maybe it is a faulty cable?

Do you have any idea on this?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:38 PM »
What happens if you connect the USB lead to the controller with the battery disconnected before plugging it into the laptop, does it then show up as "USB-Serial CH340" in the Device Manager?

Hopefully, another forum member with a VEC500 controller will explain how they connect successfully.

Alan

Offline Rusina

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 06:39:40 AM »
Hello,
Here is how I do it:
1) the controller must no longer be energized,
2) Connect the cable to the controller and connect the USB cable to the computer (I'm on Win 10)
3) The controller appears as a peripheral under the name "CH340" and on the port "COM4",
4) Import the settings: yellow "upload" icon,
5) Modify the settings,
6) Save the new settings: green "download" icon,
7) disconnect the cable,
8) put the controller back into service.

The question I am asking myself about your problem the port selected by default, may already be used by the computer, perhaps try another one that you are sure is free (check in the configuration).

Good luck for the future.

Bonjour,
Voici comment je procède :
1) il faut que le controleur ne soit plus sous tension,
2) Brancher le cable sur le controleur et brancher le cable USB sur l'ordinateur (moi, je suis sous Win 10)
3) le controleur apparaît comme périphérique sous le nom "CH340" et sur le port "COM4",
4) Importer les réglages : icone jaune "upload",
5) Modifier les réglages,
6) Enregistrer les nouveaux réglages : icone verte "download",
7) débrancher le cable,
8) remettre en service le controleur.

La question que je me pose au sujet de ton problème le port sélectionné par défaut, est peut-être déjà utilisé par l'ordinateur, peut-être en essayer un autre don't tu es sur qu'il est libre (à vérifier dans la configuration).

Bonne chance pour la suite.

EDIT: Google translation added
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:35:11 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Danned

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
BUT it seems like I have an issue with connecting the controller to the software provided. I am using the USB cable provided. I watched carefully youtube videos how it has to be done with switching on/off the battery, but looks like I have a problem.
I noticed that as soon as I connect the USB to the laptop I see in the device manager a new "USB-Serial CH340" pops up, which is OK. But when I connect the plug to the controller, that port instantly disappear and no connection can be done.
I don't know if I am doing something wrong or maybe it is a faulty cable?

Do you have any idea on this?

I had the exact same problem with my CH340 cable, brand new, out of the box did the same thing on different laptops. It was the USB cable. Quality control? It showed up in my device manager, but the USB detected a voltage issue and shut down the USB device as soon as I plugged it into the controller. New cable.