Author Topic: Throttle Problem VEC 300 + HMP5000B  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Ziojos

• Confirmed
Throttle Problem VEC 300 + HMP5000B
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
I have a setup with:

Controller -> VEC330 72 Volt
Motor -> 5KW HMP5000B 72Volt
Contactor SAYOON 72 Volt

Myconfiguration is the default configuration, with potenziometric throttle ,

I'm using a standard 10 K potentiometer  on the Throttle connector.

The motor start to spin at half the potentiometer value (2.2 Volt on the Central Pin) and accelerate until 4.0 Volt.But the motor  go reverse below this value 2.2 Volt.

I espected only forward spin  and not reverse   :-[
Bytheway the reverse button has no effect at all.
wilst regenerative brake seems to work properly to stop forward spin

May someone help me

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle Problem VEC 300 + HMP5000B
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
Hi Ziojos andto the forum.

I am not familiar with the required settings for the VEC controllers, but it seems to be set for a boat type throttle where you push the throttle lever forward to go forward and pull it back for reverse.  ???

If you can't find any obvious incorrect settings then I suggest you contact Andy Zhang at GM in China and ask him if he can help:

Unfortunately, I suspect he may still be enjoying the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival Golden Week holiday, so it may be a day or two until he returns to work and is able to read your email.  ::)

Hopefully it will just be a case of adjusting some parameters to get the throttle working as it should.

Please let us know exactly what was causing the problem when you have found a solution.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:35:58 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Ziojos

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:50 AM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks a Lot, I solved changing Throttle type from Potentiometric to Hall type.

Now the reverse switch runs properly

The braking seem to be effective only in FW but when Reverse Speed is selected the braking is weaker than in FW. It seems that in Backward the Regenerative Brake is not active.

Ciao

Josè

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »
Thanks for the fast update Josè, I'm glad it was something simple and easy to fix.

I don't think that regenerative braking works in reverse with any of the GM vector controllers.  :(

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:48:43 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Raedy07

• Confirmed
    • Tropical Island
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:28:22 AM »
hello Alan,

i'm also struggling with parameter settings in general, throttle para settings in particular.  problem is I can't find a good indepth explanation anywhere - have I missed it? i'm using BLDC 3, 5 & 10kW  for different applications.  shouldn't all of them behave exactly d same if used with same controller? I mean throttle response, acceleration, direction of rotation etc

for instance, what do these lower 6 settings mean and how will it influence behavior of motor if lowered or increased? why can't lowest be 0V, highest 5V?

what do these 2 do, why could it be useful to set a V range protection?

what's d difference between d 2 modes?

what exactly changes the pot to make motor spinn forwards/reverse?  can't be (only) POT or HALL selection, mine now decided to behave like a boat throttle; with both pot or hall throttle, on any of d 2 settings.

Rated phase current (A)
    Sets the maximum permissible current pulses allowed to pass through the phase wires and motor windings, as the phase current is not constant it can be a lot higher than the constant battery current (35-70 Amps)

how much higher (%) can it be in order to set it so it matches d batt.current?

i would imagine this interest all users - or how do you know it already?

thanx !!

Radek

EDIT: Pictures inserted into post
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:54:51 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Raedy07

• Confirmed
    • Tropical Island
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:10:02 AM »
PS   ooops, forgot to clarify which settings I was refering to

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 12:50:32 PM »
I'm also struggling with parameter settings in general, throttle para settings in particular.  Problem is I can't find a good in depth explanation anywhere - have I missed it? I'm using BLDC 3, 5 & 10kW  for different applications.  Shouldn't all of them behave exactly the same if used with same controller? I mean throttle response, acceleration, direction of rotation etc.

Unfortunately, GM have not provided any detailed instructions on setting up these controllers, so it is difficult to know what to enter for all of the settings.

Different motors may respond differently in regards to throttle response and acceleration as there will be substantial differences in the rotor mass and probably in the wire gauge and/or the number of turns per coil on the stator windings. Any variation in the stator windings resistance and inductance is likely to affect some aspects of the motor output.
However, I would expect the direction of rotation to remain the same on all three motors if the default wiring configuration has not been altered.

What do these lower 6 settings mean and how will it influence behavior of motor if lowered or increased? why can't lowest be 0V, highest 5V?

Here are the typical default values and my interpretation of those settings:
  • Throttle maximum allowed voltage (V)       4.0
    [Throttle protection error occurs at/above this voltage (if enabled)]
  • Throttle upper voltage fault exit value (V)  3.5
    [This setting should be lower than maximum allowed voltage but higher than maximum valid voltage. An overvoltage protection error should no longer exist if the throttle signal voltage falls to/below this voltage]
  • Throttle lowest allowed voltage (V)            0.4
    [Throttle protection error occurs at/below this voltage (if enabled)]
  • Throttle lower voltage fault exit value (V)  0.7
    [This setting should be higher than minimum allowed voltage but lower than minimum valid voltage. An undervoltage protection error should no longer exist if the throttle signal voltage rises to/above this voltage]
  • Throttle maximum valid voltage (V)            3.2
    [Maximum motor rpm will be achieved at this voltage]
  • Throttle minimum valid voltage (V)            1.2
    [Minimum motor rpm will begin at this voltage]

If your throttle signal went from 0-5V instead of 1.2-3.2V it would prevent the main safety benefits of using the throttle voltage range protection function from working. If you didn't have a full 5V supply, you wouldn't get maximum rpm either.

What do these 2 do, why could it be useful to set a V range protection?

what's the difference between these 2 modes?

What exactly changes the pot to make motor spin forwards/reverse?  can't be (only) POT or HALL selection, mine now decided to behave like a boat throttle; with both pot or hall throttle, on any of the 2 settings.

Enabling the Throttle voltage range protection enable setting would allow the controller to safely stop the motor out in the event of a throttle voltage error.

If the +5V accidentally chaffed through the throttle signal wire, your motor would be stuck on full throttle regardless of the throttle position.
Similarly, with a Hall sensor throttle, a break in the ground wire could also cause the motor to run with the throttle fully released.

Also, with a boat type throttle, a voltage drop or a complete break on the +5v throttle supply could result in the motor going backwards with the throttle still in the Neutral position.

If you're not concerned about the safety of yourself or others, or worried about your vehicle suddenly taking off on its own when a wire breaks, then I guess you probably wouldn't bother enabling or setting the values for the Throttle voltage range protection.  ::)

The Throttle mode selection determines which type of throttle is used:
The 1:Linear (conventional throttle) option provides a linear throttle from zero to maximum set rpm between the minimum and maximum valid voltage settings.
The 0:Hyperbola (Boat style throttle) option provides maximum set forward rpm at the maximum valid voltage setting (3.2V) and maximum set reverse rpm at the minimum valid voltage setting (1.2V). The zero rpm (Neutral) should be around the 2.2V.

Rated phase current (A)
    Sets the maximum permissible current pulses allowed to pass through the phase wires and motor windings, as the phase current is not constant it can be a lot higher than the constant battery current (35-70 Amps)

How much higher (%) can it be in order to set it so it matches the batt.current?

That statement was referring to a Smart Pie controller which typically has its battery current set to 18 Amps, but the phase current could still be set as high as 70Amps.

The figures I've seen for the VEC controllers are as follows:

Model      Rated Voltage     Rated Current   Max Phase Current
VEC300-48        48V                  120A                    300A
VEC300-72        72V                  100A                    300A
VEC300-96        96V                    80A                    250A
VEC500-48        48V                  200A                    500A
VEC500-72        72V                  150A                    500A
VEC500-96        96V                  120A                    450A

With the 96V VEC300, the Maximum Phase current can be over 3 times that of the battery current.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:02:13 PM by Bikemad »