Author Topic: Using batteries with different voltages  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Trikeo

• Confirmed
Using batteries with different voltages
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
I'm not yet a Golden Motor user but I'm attracted by the good hill-climbing potential of the Magic Pie. For this purpose I imagine a 48V setting would be the best. But if the controller is set at this voltage would it still be possible (by perhaps setting a low minimum voltage at maybe around 30V) to run the motor with a fairly new 36V battery originally used with a different e-bike wheel. I envisage using the 36V for those fairly level rides and then switching to 48V whenever I'm out in the hills. Could this be done without having to re-program the controller?

If not, in order to still get use from my 36V battery would repeated re-programing of the controller have any adverse effects?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Using batteries with different voltages
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

The factory setting for the battery voltage is usually 24V, although I received one kit direct from China that was originally set to 36V, which meant it wouldn't run at all when I first tested it on 24V. ::)

I now have all my controllers set to 24V so that I can use any of my LiPo packs (25.9V, 29.6V or 51.8V) without having to reprogram the controller each time.

Some Magic Pies have been found to produce more power if the controller is set to 24V when using 48V batteries. ;)

If your battery pack has its own battery management system (BMS) it should be protected against becoming over-discharged during use, but if yours doesn't have any BMS it might be best to set the controller's battery voltage setting to match the battery being used, as this should allow the controller to cut out if the battery voltage drops too low.

As I use home-made LiPo packs, which don't have a BMS, I use a very simple plugin battery monitor with an audible alarm which alerts me if the battery voltage starts to drop too low.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:37:56 PM by Bikemad »