Author Topic: Infineon Controllers  (Read 23791 times)

Offline nailsnglue

• Confirmed
Infineon Controllers
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »
Hello

My first post....

I have Magic Pie internal controller and I have the 5 beeps of death. I am assuming I am looking at a new controller. It would appear the GM controller is inferior due to overvoltage troubles. I wonder about putting in a third party controller such as an Infineon Controller 40 amp. Has anyone done this? How do I remove the old internal controller of the Magic Pie?

Any help appreciated?

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Infineon Controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:00:01 AM »
Im about to do this on sunday, can do a post for you :D
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:00:51 AM »
Hello

My first post....

I have Magic Pie internal controller and I have the 5 beeps of death. I am assuming I am looking at a new controller. It would appear the GM controller is inferior due to overvoltage troubles. I wonder about putting in a third party controller such as an Infineon Controller 40 amp. Has anyone done this? How do I remove the old internal controller of the Magic Pie?

Any help appreciated?

Just make sure you get an Infineon that will match your batteries max continuous C rating or you could kill it!

I think the best battery for the pie with a 40 amp Infineon is a Ping battery 48v 20ah! (cheap enough and easy to charge)

LiPo from hobbyking.com is worth serious consideration but you have to do a lot of study on LiPo on connecting up and charging, they don't come with a bms but can output some massive currents, even from a small pack. And chargers can be expensive, but that's a once off!

Lipo is very unforgiving of mistakes, and charge discharge cycles range from 500- over 800 if you follow the simple rules of LiPo, I.E not to charge or discharge to full capacity.

But the cool thing is you can add more batteries later to make higher capacity, only thing is to charge you have to disconnect your series parallel configuration and charge in parallel!   

There are better LiFePo4 batteries available too that have higher C ratings in a smaller pack. The pie is a Hungry motor on hills and on acceleration @ 40 amps it really has got some up hill pull and acceleration is fantastic! @ 80 amps it's scary! ;D

Mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Hello

My first post....

Any help appreciated?

Just make sure you get an Infineon that will match your batteries max continuous C rating or you could kill it!

I think the best battery for the pie with a 40 amp Infineon is a Ping battery 48v 20ah! (cheap enough and easy to charge)

LiPo from hobbyking.com is worth serious consideration but you have to do a lot of study on LiPo on connecting up and charging, they don't come with a bms but can output some massive currents, even from a small pack. And chargers can be expensive, but that's a once off!

Lipo is very unforgiving of mistakes, and charge discharge cycles range from 500- over 800 if you follow the simple rules of LiPo, I.E not to charge or discharge to full capacity.

But the cool thing is you can add more batteries later to make higher capacity, only thing is to charge you have to disconnect your series parallel configuration and charge in parallel!   

There are better LiFePo4 batteries available too that have higher C ratings in a smaller pack. The pie is a Hungry motor on hills and on acceleration @ 40 amps it really has got some up hill pull and acceleration is fantastic! @ 80 amps it's scary! ;D

Mark

I'm loving Marks enthousiasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »
I say go with a Kelly and 60 amps 72 volts! OH YEAH!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DiD I mention LiPo?  ;D

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 03:38:56 AM »

Sunday has been and gone - how did you go?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:00:59 AM »
Oooooh the man with the follow up skills !

Pressure is on Gingey :D

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:20:14 AM »

Sunday has been and gone - how did you go?

Ginge actually coverted one of my pies from internal to external on Sunday. We spent the whole day in my garage with the limited time we had modifying my two bikes.  In the rush we forgot to take photos. Ginge remembered half way through the day by which time it was a bit too late. :(
we swapped a 24v mini motor for a 36v and laced it into a wheel for my dual mini motor bike.
Removed my rear pie which was confidently converted by Ginge from internal to external magic controller.
He set up my Cycle analyst ready for a secret limiting switch
All I need now is a 45amp Infineon controller.  :)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:30:43 AM »
Aw huys im really sorry, as andrew stated we forgot......truth was, I was a bit sick and got lacing his hub wrong and all sorts of catastrophe.....

Anyway, I will do a post for you, ill try and match up some pics for you also, at the weekend maybe ?

Needed are

shrinkwrap / soldering iron and solder
5 small cables for hall sensor wiring
3 large cables for phase
Tea ( lots of)
Sandwiches ( lovingly provided by Andrews wife)
Strange welsh radio  ;D

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:46:54 AM by dirtyginge »

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »

He set up my Cycle analyst ready for a secret limiting switch

Please, tell me more about this limiting thingy!

All I need now is a 45amp Infineon controller.  :)

Can I recommend LYEN edition infineon controller? http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17191&p=251159&hilit=+12+fet#p251159

this is the 45 AMP "underclocked" version - meaning you will have "over engineered reliability"

I have the 9 fet version on my pie and it's working great at around 30A  http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16998&hilit=9+fet. Also, a point to mention is the communication with Ed Lyen in SF USA - it is number one! (i.e. the opposite of GM China)

I had a problem with the cruise control wire being too short and he sorted it out immediately. he has a similar standing on the ES forum - well respected.

It's worth paying the extra for the cruise and the USB programming cable - he has custom software to program it.

He also does a "three speed limiter switch" which turns down the amps on the fly - and this AMP setting is programmable.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
Thanks for that Magzy.  As the LYEN version is sensorless will the bike need a pedal start with this controller?

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »
lyen does sensored and sensorless....mu understanding is that you don't need to pedal, due to a chip in the controller which sends timing pulses, but I could be wrong....hell ill get the man himself to answer it :D

I personally have the 12 Fet standard 72V sensored edition.....you have tried this puppy on the donkey going up the hill...

Mr Lyen, can you comment a little more about the functionality of the sensorless ( for direct drive only)

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 02:03:05 AM »
Thanks for that Magzy.  As the LYEN version is sensorless will the bike need a pedal start with this controller?

my 9 fet version is sensored (hall sensors that plug straight in to the MP hall sensor socket)

Acceleration an hill climbing is dramatically improved - top speed is only about 1mph faster.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:47 AM »
Magzy, have you programmed the controller for 120% setting ?

If you don't have a 3 way switch, jsut program each of the 3 settings to 120%

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
how I missed it?