Author Topic: Is the 500w motor and 36 volt LifePo4 Realiable enough for a daily commute?  (Read 14179 times)

kazbluesky

Re: Is the 500w motor and 36 volt LifePo4 Realiable enough for a daily commute?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »
ummmmmm Sig, wish I had heard the details of your experience earlier.  Oh well, I'll hope for the best and see what happens.  Who knows, I could be one of the lucky ones. 

I'll let everyone know my experience, good or bad. 

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »
Looking to get one of the TPpacks myself at 72 volts you should scream down the road.  Just trying for 60v myself although I may do 48 first.  Gookd luck with the current bike and hope GM comes through for you.

Offline mrgardiner

• Confirmed
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 04:42:49 AM »
Given the problems with the pre-laced wheels/motors, would people suggest purchasing the kit piecemeal and adding the motor to the existing wheel on the bike? I too am intrigued by the inexpensive high power motors.  The hard part is finding a 48V pack that doesn't cost $500 plus or weigh over 100lbs. 

Sorry to hear about your motor.  I have heard of a few instances of pretty much every brand giving up the ghost one way or another. Yes the GM wheels are junk, replaced mine without even installing it on the bike it was plainly to light weight and not round.  I have in the past cautioned anyone even thinking of using them to not do so as it could be dangerous to your well being as have others.  It is pretty much common knowledge to most here that we replace them it's not that expensive to do so

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
It's easier just to buy the kit and then replace the wheel.  That way you get parts that play well together.   That's not always the case when you piece things together.  Doubt you will save much if any getting the parts separate anyway.  Watch your batter purchase closely it will likely be the most expensive part of the whole bike and there are plenty of defective or low draw packs around. Some of the more expensive kits elsewhere already have a nice wheel.