Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 USB cable sales in EU?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline P3yot3

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 3 USB cable sales in EU?
« on: October 21, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »
Greetings everyone. New member here trying to source a MP3 USB programming cable. I found one on Golden Motor Canada site but postage was over $120 to the UK for a $20 cable, so that won't happen. If anyone could point me in the right direction to a EU/UK seller or if any user here has one for sale then please do drop me a line. Kindest regards.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 3 USB cable sales in EU?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:32:44 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

There appears to be a problem with GM Canada's shipping price calculations and they are currently looking into it.

You will also need to check whether you require the early MPIII 8 pin connector or the later MPIII 10 pin connector to suit your motor harness.

The early MPIII pin configuration is slightly different to the MPII connectors even though they both have 8 pins.

Alan

Offline P3yot3

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »
Hi back - & thanks!  :)

I think this is the cable I'm after:

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/usb-programming-cable-for-smart-pie-3-controllers-8-pin/

...but the descriptions are a little confusing as the link above says it is for the Smart Pie only but the picture says Magic Pie (I have the v1 type harness with Magic Pie), where as this link:

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/usb-programming-cable-for-magic-pie-3-controllers/

...gives no indication of harness type or pin amount - not very user friendly for noobs like me....

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Magic/Smart Pie programming cable connectors explained
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
I must admit that it can be very confusing, but that 8 Pin Smart Pie 3 cable is definitely the correct cable for an early Magic Pie 3 as they were both fitted with the same controllers (but slightly different firmware) and therefore used the same 8 pin programming cable.

Here is a brief run down of the different Programming cable options:

Early "original" Magic Pies were not programmable, but later versions of the "original" Magic Pie (with the crossed spokes), and the MPIIs (with the revised spoke pattern) both used the same PD-280 programming software and a USB programming lead fitted with a mini DIN 8 pin connector (non-symmetrical pin layout):

Early MPIII and V1 Smart Pies used a Higo style 8 pin programming cable:

Revised controllers fitted to later MPIIIs and Smart Pies changed to a Higo style 10 pin connector:

When the vector controller was produced  (MP4/5 and SP4/5) the programming lead changed again to a smaller Higo style 5 pin connector:

The vector controllers require the PI-800 Programming Software instead of the PD-280 software used on the non-vector controllers.

This 5 pin connector was also used for the BAC-601 smart Display on SP4/5 and MP4/5:

But the MP4/SP4 version of the BAC-601 was not compatible with MP5/SP5 (and vice versa).

The Bluetooth dongle also connects to the same 5 pin connector on MP5, SP5 and MP Edge and can be used for programming the controller via the Android or IOS App:

The only other cable option for Magic/Smart Pies has a Molex style connector for use with the BAC-281 and BAC-0501 external controllers:

My initial intent was to clarify the different available configurations, but I've probably just made it seem even more complicated now.  :-\

Alan

Offline P3yot3

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »
Hi Bikemad, thanks for the info again - like you said - I'm even more confused now....

OK, here's what I know after poking around a bit more:

Both connectors from both motors to the loom are the 8 pin type.
Both the unused smaller (programming?) plugs from both the motors are 5 pin, round with a flat locating area. I believe these are for connecting to the USB cable for programming the controller in the hub? They are female.
With the v1 plug type harness & the round wiring junction on the wires coming from the hubs, I'm pretty sure I have MP3 type motors.

What do you think - this cable?:

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/usb-programming-cable-for-smart-pie-3-controllers-8-pin/

Kindest regards.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:19:48 PM »
That is definitely the right cable for MPIII and V1 Smart Pies.

The small 5 pin connector on the controller harness was not used for programming the controller, they were supposedly for a "Meter Display":

I am not aware of a Golden Motor "Meter Display" that was available for MPIII motors, and the two versions of the BAC-601 Smart LCD display were only available for the later SP4/MP4 and SP5/MP5/MP Edge vector controllers.

If your Magic Pie has a round controller that can be accessed without having to take the entire side cover off, it must be an MPIII (or later MP4 or MP5).

The MPIII has a square wave controller which produces a lot of motor noise under load which disappears when the throttle is released, whereas the MP4 and MP5 have a sine wave (Vector) controller which uses Frequency Oriented Control which results in a very quiet motor under load, and the noise from the motor hardly changes when the throttle is applied at a constant wheel speed (although the sound coming from the motor will vary with the motor rpm).

If you can hear a very pronounced motor noise when the throttle is applied, you must have a Magic Pie III.  ;)

Alan