Author Topic: Hall Replacement  (Read 1905 times)

Offline MartinGMbike

• Confirmed
Hall Replacement
« on: October 18, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
Hi All
Does anyone know where I could get my hall sensors repaired in the UK.
I have a smart Pie 5 and a Magic Pie 5 with the same problem caused by a faulty wireing loom (i think)
I get 5 flashes from the led on the hub controller on power on.

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Hall Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:36:22 PM »
Hi Martin andto the forum.

Whereabouts in the UK are you located?

If there aren't any forum members near to you that are able to assist, then you will have to look on Google to see who else you could ask.

If there is a problem with your wiring harness, this would obviously need to be found and rectified before the repaired motors were refitted.

Have you tried testing the Hall sensors using a voltmeter to see what is wrong?

I would suggest that you first try disconnecting the two brake switch connectors to see if it makes a difference, as a short between the +5V and ground wires could prevent the Hall sensors from working.
If disconnecting the brake switches makes no difference, you will then need to check the voltages on the Hall sensor connector to see if the problem is with the 5 volt supply or ground wire (controller or wiring fault) or the Hall sensors themselves.

Alan

Offline MartinGMbike

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 03:49:49 PM »
Hi Alan

Thanks for the info. I'm in Rochester Kent.

I've tested the Smart Pie and I don't see and volts across the red and black and 3.2v across black and the other 3.
With or without the cable connected.

I'm guessing now it's the controller at fault.

I'll test the Magic Pie and see if it's the same.

Is it easy to get a new controller?

Martin

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:51:01 PM »
Is sounds like your +5V supply from the controller is either dead or shorted to ground.

If you disconnect the main harness from the controller you should be able to check the +5V supply on Pin 5 of the 10 pin connector in relation to battery negative (-):

If you don't have 4~5V on pin 5, then the controller will probably need to be replaced.
However, if you do see 4~5V with the main harness disconnected, it could be a fault in the control harness, the throttle or either of the brake switches that is shorting the +5v to ground.

If you place a short piece of wire insulation on the end of the Positive meter probe (or wrap some insulation or masking tape around it to make a tube) it will prevent the probe from touching against adjacent pins while you are checking for the +5V supply:

Hopefully one of the local GM dealers will have a controller in stock as the controllers are physically the same for SP5, MP5 and MP Edge, however, the controllers require different firmware to be installed for each motor (the USB programming lead will be required to reload the firmware);)

Alan

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:00:36 PM by Bikemad »