Author Topic: Kick scooter conversion  (Read 2762 times)

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
  • Why pedal when you can twist!
Kick scooter conversion
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
Hi,

Hope all is well. Since I am here, I am new to the forum  :). I am looking for information on how to convert my 20" Wheel Kick Scooter to electric, efficiently and cost effectively. I already have disc breaks, so I would like to keep those(alto I see that a new disc comes with some of the motors), Since my budget is limited, for now ;) I would love to have to possibility to "add-on" to what will be my "V1.0". Most of my commute is on bicycle paths, so the restricted 32km/h would be the minimum required. I would like to be able to increase that speed (55-60km/hish)for when I go in the woods or mountain"Scootering". Motor wise, I do not know wich one to choose, this is where your expertise comes in. For the battery I chose the 48V11.6AH Panasonic Shark Pack. even on this I am debating if I start with a 36volt would be more cost effective? ??? I hope it's not to much to ask

I thank you in advance

Marty
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:21:21 PM by MartyEV »
"With great power, comes great electricity Bill" :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Kick scooter conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
Hi Marty andto the forum.

If your scooter has the same 100mm wide dropouts front and rear, the obvious choice for maximum torque would be a front 20" Magic Pie mounted on the rear.

The only problem I can see is your required top speed (55-60 km/h) as the 20" Magic Pie is unlikely to go that fast on a 48V pack.

Some of the early smaller diameter Magic Pies used to have different stator windings to produce a higher speed (but with reduced torque) but I'm not sure what the maximum rpm @ 48V is on the latest 20" Magic Pies.

To achieve 55km/h with a 20" tyre, the motor would need to spin at 575 rpm, but the standard rpm on 48V for a Magic Pie is typically ~360 rpm:

That's a top speed of only ~35 km/h @ 48V (or ~25 km/h @ 36V pack) with the standard stator, and ~45 km/h @ 48V (or ~34 km/h @ 36V pack) if it has a higher speed "delta wound" stator .  :-\

I think you would need to fit a higher voltage external controller and use a higher voltage battery (at least 72V) to achieve your suggested top speed, but to be honest, I would not want to go off road at 60km/h on a kick scooter with 20" tyres and no suspension!  :o

Perhaps someone who is currently using an MP4 or MP5 on a 48V pack would be able to tell us what the approximate top speed (and/or rpm) is.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 04:15:31 PM by Bikemad »

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:30:34 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. I guess some compromises are in question for this conversion. Since the bulk of the use for the scooter would be to go to work(on paved roads/bicycle path), the higher speed would not be a necessity. I could simply use the same setup for on/off road. I do mostly "clear" trails around the cottage and at the ski hill :D

So I am thinking of going with:
48V13.6AH Panasonic Shark Pack
Magic Pie Edge (VECTOR) 20 Inch Rear

For the Edge kit, if I choose the Bluetooth option, I am right on thinking that I do not need the USB cable and the display?!?! ;)

Thanks again for your help :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
That should be a good combination, but you will need 130mm wide dropouts to fit a rear Magic Pie Edge axle.
I suggest that you check the width of your dropouts before ordering a rear motor.  ;)

If you have the Bluetooth dongle and a compatible phone, you will not need the USB cable, as you should be able to set all of the programmable parameters via the phone App.

The display comes with a mode select button for the pedelec (which won't be of much use to you) but I find the LCD display so much easier to see on a bright sunny day in comparison to the screen on my Android phone.

Unfortunately, you can't use both the BAC-601 Smart Display and the Bluetooth dongle at the same time, as they both need to plug into the same 5 pin connector on the motor harness.  ::)

Alan

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 11:45:14 PM »
Thanks again for the info. So I switched the rear motor for the front one, since my back dropout is just shy of 110mm :o  I also got 2 torque arms and the Bluetooth dongle :D

I will let you know how things work out once I install the MPE and go for a ride  :)

Thanks again

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »
If you're lucky, the two torque arms will be able to fit inside the dropouts and work as spacers to make up the difference in axle width.

Alan

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 01:20:52 AM »
Woohoo! I just got my MPedge :D :D :D :D for some reason my battery was not delivered at the same time :o :o  Hopefully I will get it tomorrow and start testing the kit and getting it on 5he Scooter ;)

I will keep you guys posted :)

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 11:45:42 PM »
So I got everything hooked up. For some reason I only get reverse, so I was thinking that I installed it the wrong way, except that when I install the wheel the “right” way it’s not centrées and it simply does not turn since it is rubbing on the suspension fork. 

Any help at this point would be welcomed  :) :)

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »
It was a great ride this morning  ;D I just did a 10k ride with my new Edge motor. wOW! It’s super fun!  Still have a few tweaks here and there but it is so much fun.

Thanks again Golden Motor Canada  :)

P.S. Now my 12 years old daughter wants a 16” kit for her scooter  :D

Offline MartyEV

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 12:17:28 AM »
Hi all,

So I purchased a front kit, MP Edge with a 48v 14.6amp battery. I installed it in the front and have been using it for about 5 days and I have been enjoying the kit a lot :) I did find that the weight in the front was ridiculous(even with my front suspension)it's really hard on the for arms :o So today I installed it in the back, Holly Molly it's a different beast now :D :D It is more maneuverable and easier to control the speed I am loving it :-* :-* Also the weight is much better balance now and sounds silly but it is a much smoother ride now :)