Author Topic: VEC500 electric braking  (Read 3118 times)

Offline AJ350925

• Confirmed
VEC500 electric braking
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »
Hi,

I am using a VEC500 and HPM-10KW and am not able to get the electric braking to work. I have checked the switch in the brake handle and it is working properly (continuity when the brake handle is depressed), The two the wires marked “brake” on the controller wiring harness are run through the brake handle switch. Is there something else I need to do in order to get the braking to work?

Thank you,

Andrew Johnson

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC500 electric braking
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »
Hi Andrew andto the forum.

If the brake switch is cutting the power to the motor, but not having any braking effect, then it might just be that the EBS is not be enabled in the software (or the level is set too low).

However, if the power to the motor does not stop when the brake switch is applied, you should double check that the Blue and White wire is definitely connecting to the Black wire when the brake  is operated.

Alan

Offline AJ350925

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
Thank you Alan.

I have the motor in an ATV, and have to run the motor "in reverse" to get the direction I need.

Do I loose any functionality like boost mode or EBS when doing this? I think I have the speed ratio and torque ratio at 100% for FWD and BWD.

Thanks again,

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:40:55 PM by AJ350925 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
That might explain why regen isn't working. ::)

I don't know about the boost function, but I expect (like the EBS and cruise function) it probably will not work in reverse either.

To get everything working correctly you will need to reverse the motor's default direction of rotation by changing the configuration of the Phase and Hall sensor wires as follows:

From the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must be swapped on the Hall sensor connector.

As the 10kW motor has two sets of hall sensors, it would be better to change the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires on the controller side of the connector so that either Hall sensor set can still be used.

If you are able to remove the two wires and the terminal from the connector, simply swap them over and put the connector back together again. If this is not possible, you will need to cut both wires and solder them to the opposite wires (Green to Yellow and Yellow to Green).

You might want to swap the front and rear wheels from side to side so that the tyres will perform better on loose or muddy ground.  ;)

The chevron shaped tread pattern on the rear tyres will then force the mud away from the centre of the tyre under acceleration and provide more traction, and the chevron shaped tread pattern on the non-driven front tyre will then do exactly the same while braking. 

However, if you had four wheel drive, the front tyres would be fine as they are.

Alan

Offline AJ350925

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
Thanks Alan!

I did not have time to swap the phases last night, but did have a few minutes to put the rear of the ATV on a jack stand and spin it up fast in reverse. When I grabbed the front brake handle (where the switch for the EBS is) sure enough the EBS worked.

Thanks for letting me know which wires to change, that will be MUCH easier than guess and check.

When I took the picture I had just turned the wheels inside out because doing that allowed the wheel offset to work in my favor and make the rear end an inch wider on each side. I was hoping that would help with torque steer and high speed stability.

I sure am glad I found this forum!

Thanks again.

Offline GDare

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 04:58:08 AM »
That might explain why regen isn't working. ::)

I don't know about the boost function, but I expect (like the EBS and cruise function) it probably will not work in reverse either.

To get everything working correctly you will need to reverse the motor's default direction of rotation by changing the configuration of the Phase and Hall sensor wires as follows:

From the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must be swapped on the Hall sensor connector.

As the 10kW motor has two sets of hall sensors, it would be better to change the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires on the controller side of the connector so that either Hall sensor set can still be used.

If you are able to remove the two wires and the terminal from the connector, simply swap them over and put the connector back together again. If this is not possible, you will need to cut both wires and solder them to the opposite wires (Green to Yellow and Yellow to Green).

You might want to swap the front and rear wheels from side to side so that the tyres will perform better on loose or muddy ground.  ;)

The chevron shaped tread pattern on the rear tyres will then force the mud away from the centre of the tyre under acceleration and provide more traction, and the chevron shaped tread pattern on the non-driven front tyre will then do exactly the same while braking. 

However, if you had four wheel drive, the front tyres would be fine as they are.

Alan

Is it possible to have the EBS active in both forward and reverse operation?

Offline AJ350925

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 12:16:23 AM »
I swapped phases per Alan’s instruction and EBS worked.

Offline GDare

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »
I swapped phases per Alan’s instruction and EBS worked.

Does EBS now ONLY function in reverse? I am trying to achieve EBS in both forward and reverse.

Offline AJ350925

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »
It appears that way to me. I could not get EBS to work in reverse, and I didn't see any parameters in the controller to change it.