Author Topic: replacing Magic Pie III motor with Magic Pie IV motor without removing wheel  (Read 2013 times)

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
I've taken out the screws on the hub.  How does the cover etc. come off the controller side?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
The cover's flange is typically stuck to the mating flange on the magnet ring with sealant making it difficult to separate the two parts.

I usually thread a nut on the opposite end of the axle (freewheel or non-controller side) until the outer side of the nut is flush with the end of the axle. I then tap the end of the axle/nut with a large wooden mallet (or use a large hammer with a block of wood placed against the axle/nut to cushion the blow and prevent damage) until the cover on the controller side comes away.

Once the cover is unstuck you will need to remove the nut to allow the cover, controller, axle and stator assembly to be removed as a single unit, as I presume those are the parts you will be replacing in order to convert it from MPIII to MP4.
Check out this post for a description of how I did it.

However, if you just want to remove the cover alone, check out this post for further information.

Alan

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
Now the big question.  To replace the Magic Pies with the wheel on or re-spoke the hub. Should I risk possible damages to change the stator assembly or just find a mechanic who can re-spoke the rim onto the new Magic Pie IV?  I'm thinking the latter...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I would simply install the new stator assembly into the old magnet ring as it's a lot easier and quicker than swapping the rim and spokes and then having to true the rim and then re-tension the spokes after the first few rides.

The only damage that can sometimes occur when swapping the stators is if the laminations catch on the magnets while removing the stator.

If this happens, you can simply clamp them back into their correct position and apply some superglue to ensure they stay in the correct place.

Alan

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
I'm a little bit nervous about the next step.  Removing the stator assy from the new MP4, tell me it comes off easy.  So after I get the cover separated from the hub, I can continue around the hub all the way without pounding or is the magnet force too strong?

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
In case I wasn't clear, the Magic Pie IV is only the hub no spokes/wheel. 

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
I'm skeptical about getting the cover off but I will prevail. I must. No Fear.

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
I don't recommend this method.  It is too easy to damage the axle threads with the bolt on I couldn't get the bolt off and I had to file the threads down enough to get past the spot.  Use a large press if you're determined to proceed.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I usually thread a nut on the opposite end of the axle (freewheel or non-controller side) until the outer side of the nut is flush with the end of the axle. I then tap the end of the axle/nut with a large wooden mallet (or use a large hammer with a block of wood placed against the axle/nut to cushion the blow and prevent damage) until the cover on the controller side comes away.

I don't recommend this method.  It is too easy to damage the axle threads with the bolt on I couldn't get the bolt off and I had to file the threads down enough to get past the spot.

I don't understand how you managed to damage steel threads on the axle if you used a wooden mallet (or a large hammer with a block of wood placed against the axle/nut to cushion the blow and prevent damage) as I described.

I have dismantled several motors using this technique and have never damaged anything on the motor (however, the block of wood I used did sustain some minor injuries).

Alan