Author Topic: PAS What is it good for, absolutely nothing.  (Read 8926 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
PAS What is it good for, absolutely nothing.
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:22:52 AM »
I say it again.

Its the Elite EU regulators trying to make Ebikes not worth owning and more want people to use their taxed petroleum oil. 

Some race bike riders and cars that wiz past me and yell agressive like, "cheater", "why don't you pedal". The implementation of PAS has more to do with the hatred of the growing popularity of the Ebike than it does with safety, which in my mind is pathetic..

They need to make sure you pedal, thats about it guys, I know the regulators pathetic psychology soooo well..
I had a PAS enabled off the shelf curry tech legal EU bike, I tell no lies, and it was dangerous in comparison to the the bike I would deem safe.  EU standards aint good enough for me

It would take a very experienced ebiker that has experience the full dynamics of ebike uses in the many different situations to actually be qualified to tell you any of this.

I will challenge any person here regarding the safety of PAS. 

Can someone become reliant on PAS and an electric motor, only to be let down by a more complicated process to get the bike moveing.  Yes.

Does it stop pedals failing, no.

Does it make someone rely on pedals that could jam up to make a motor work. yes.

Would someone ever need, if the situation arrived, to rely upon the throttle alone on an ebike to save their life.  Yes.

Does an ebike require pedels to be safer. yes.

Can peoples feet slip off pedals. Yes.

Is someone required to use pedals constantly to make an ebike safer. no

Ledgislation should only require that pedals are fully fucntional and brake switches respond in low latency to shut down motor.

So I await a scenario that really explains why PAS actually increases safety and not decreases safety. 

Otherwize keep your dangerous CE standards away from my country Ebike noobs..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:25:30 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: PAS What is it good for, absolutely nothing.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:33:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9qNU6Ryrl4

David Noakes on Edge Media TV: 4/11 'Exposing The EU Dictatorship'

Bring it on

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:48:25 AM »
I can only give my personal experience.
With the twist throttle I had several incidences where
I was standing beside the bike, the wheel rolled, the
handlebar turned, the throttle twisted, and the bike
spun out.

No harm, but it it's the reason I switched to the thumb
throttle.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »
I knew youd take a bite.   ;D

But very Good point and good solution.

This hapens with full hand throttles.  I had the same thing with the full throttles so I cut the handle off short and butt hand gripped the end..  This adds an anchor spot for your hand (palm and last two fingers) around between the solid end grip and the twisty throttle part.  Walking the bike while power on, even had me flip the bike using the full hand throttle.

The half hand throttle mod stopped all types of similar problems since.

Make this on the list of safety requirements. Smaller than half length twist throttles or thumb throttles..  Make full throttles a no no.

The worst thing hapened to me with my first full throttle.. 

I had no brake switches, and heavy 20ah SLA pack on frame looooog ago.  The bike fell over as usual, the stand wasnt good enough to handle 28kgs of lead on the frame..  The full weight of the bike landed on the throttle and snapped some tabs inside.  The throttle handle didnt come off until I was half way home, and when it did, I almost killed myself. I almost lost controll of the bike as the handle came off in my hand. To make maters worse, the acceleration went into full speed. 

Here I am with bike stuck at full speed, hand throttle in right hand trying to jam the throttle back into place to slow it down. I managed to get it into place, and hold it in, it still came off a few times on the way home.  I got used using it a bit and managed to get home accident free. 

The most dangerous point, was when it came off in my hand without expecting it. I lost balance at that moment and nearly fell off the bike to the right and did a big swerve.  Fortunatly I was on the wrong side of the road, so I didnt swerve into the trafic, and there was no gutter to swerve into, just gravel and grass to my right.

This incident led me here on how to fix it.  turing the borken throttle into a half throttle mod fixed it short term, and I continued to use the broken throttle for months with the half hand mod.

Lucky.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:07:20 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:47 AM »
Also people might want to purchase a half hand twist throttle if you like twisting.  They come with slippy washers that reside in between the grip and and the twist, loweing the friction the end hand grip and twist grip..

I just jam my grip end up against the twist grip, I have plenty of slippy washer around. But making the twist able to stay in a spot with out holding it works nice as a crude, but variable cruise controll. Cruise at full speed or at walking pace not a problem.  Learning how to twist throttle back to zero is as easy as learning how to twist the throttle advanced.

I don't do much stopping and starting on my runs.  I've gotten really good at adjusting the pressure between the hand grip and twist grip during my rides, its like second nature now and can enable the cruise control (stuck throttle) and disable it (spring back) when I need it on demand...  Sounds dangerous? Nope, using brake switches solves the problems one could expect comfortably.

A twist Throttle with no spring is stupid and chaotic. I've tried that too.

But some resistance isnt so bad if you find your self riding loooong straights with no stops a lot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:34:28 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:53:08 AM »
For those who are saying man this guy post throttle twist and hand too much in a post.  WTH is he going on about?

This is the half hand throttle mod I did to my broken throttle that came off in my hand.  I cut some slippy washers out of some clear palstic that they use for packaging everything these days.

--------------   ----------------   -------------------

And here is what you would purchase if buying a half hand throttle.  One is the left grip.  the other is the half hand throttle while the washer goes between the short grip and the twist grip.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:54:39 AM by Les »

Bring it on