Author Topic: My Magic Pie III 28" came with spokes loose  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Tarunji

• Confirmed
My Magic Pie III 28" came with spokes loose
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
Hi ebikers!

I recieved my Magic Pie III with 28" wheel a week ago, and it came with some spokes loose.
I have tried to adjust it, but the wheel still whobbles. I have no experience with
adjusting spokes, so I don't know how tight the spokes should be, nor how to align them.
I have had my bike out for testdrives, and sometimes some spokes loosen, othertimes the
wheel whobbles even more upon return.

I learn best from watching it done on videos, but youtube have come short.

Is there anyone that could help me out, please?

Thank you!

Thor (Norway)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Spoke adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »
I learn best from watching it done on videos, but youtube have come short.

Hi Thor andto the forum.
There are many videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to true a wheel, and I think this particular video is very informative and should be very helpful for anyone who needs to true a wheel for the first time.

Unfortunately, the correct spoke tension cannot be easily measured without using expensive equipment, so I try to ensure my spokes are all tensioned pretty tight, but hopefully not so tight that the spoke key rounds off the square section of the nipple.  :o
After the wheel has been trued as much as possible by eye, I double check the tension of the spokes by ear and try to ensure that all spokes on the same side of the wheel produce a similar pitched sound when flicked with a finger or tapped with a screwdriver blade etc.
The tighter the spoke is, the higher the note produced will be, but the optimum pitch can vary considerably from one wheel to another as it is also affected by the length and the thickness of the spokes too. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:02:19 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: My Magic Pie III 28" came with spokes loose
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
I had to retread my wheel as I had ordered too large . I had help from a former race cyclist. Even so The spokes tended to come loose and  because of uneven tension break as the pattern used on these wheels give very little elasticity.  it is a major hassle to find and order new ones.
Recomendations.
1) Fix it before you lose spokes
2) I now use Loctite thread glue ( weak type) which still allows adjustments but stops unwinding.

Offline Tarunji

• Confirmed
Re: My Magic Pie III 28" came with spokes loose
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:45:04 PM »
Thank you very much, the video was very instructive   :D