Author Topic: Magic Pie with overvoltage error  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Blooper

• Confirmed
Magic Pie with overvoltage error
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »
hi just bought my first ebike with a golden motor fitted its a mp4 I think 500w with a 48v battery pack only had it a day and got problems already

Offline Blooper

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie with overvoltage error
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »
oh forgot to say i'm in the uk and my problem is error code 8 (over voltage ) how do I correct this  I took the bike out on a test ride all was fine charged the battery for approx 4hrs then this morning it came up with error code 8 is it faulty and do I need to send whole bike back only had it 24 hrs

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:04:43 PM »
Hi Blooper andto the forum.

It sounds like your controller has been set for a 36V battery instead of 48V, and the default overvoltage protection value for the 36V battery is typically set at 52V.

Unfortunately, the voltage of a fully charged 48V battery is likely to be 54~58V, which is 2~6V too high for the controller to work on the 36V setting. :(

The controller's "Nominal battery voltage (V)" setting will need to be reset to 48V using the USB programming lead and the vector controller programming software. If it was an MP5 (and you had the Bluetooth dongle and suitable Android phone) you could download the GoldenMotor App and reset the voltage setting in the controller via Bluetooth.  ;)

Whereabouts in the UK are you located, and where did you purchase the bike from?

Alan

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:06:17 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Blooper

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »
thanx for reply i'm in the north east approx 40 mile south of newcastle and bought the bike from a ebay seller I read all his reviews and he had lots of bikes to choose from I am currently running the light that runs from the battery to drain it to see if that corrects it,were would I get the usb lead from tho change the settings

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 11:02:41 PM »
I suggest that you contact the seller and explain the problem you have, and ask if he/she can send you the programming lead so that you can reprogram the controller to the correct voltage.

If they are unable to send you a lead (and you can't find anyone else locally with one) you can buy this USB Programming Lead for Magic Pie & Smart Pie 4 & 5 on eBay, which would be sent from London.

It may take some time for the low current draw of the LED light to bring the battery voltage down to below 52V so that the controller will work in the meantime. ::)

Alan

Offline Blooper

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
thx for replies seller is sending me a cable at cost of postage so hopefully by the weekend will have it sorted