Author Topic: What do you make of this???  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
What do you make of this???
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH1c6hwlo68

:)

Offline LOLO

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • greenlocation.fr
Re: What do you make of this???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
Hi why the test is in reverse mode ?

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:14:53 PM »
yeah, that is a bit weird, wonder if they realised?  When setting up the controller parameters I noticed that the reverse was activated,  but it is really odd that the motor runs backwards. Well spotted! 8)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:01:29 AM »
I watched that video yesterday and noticed it as well. Also went back today and noticed it was set on forward. and the wheel is in the proper orientation. I hope its not due to modifiying the USB cable. But that really doesnt make sence either.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
Howdy!

My tip is he followed the wiring diagram (see snip attached), and used the throttle switch for reverse.
Then you see at 2:10 he enables reverse, and sets the reverse speed to max

Lol funny if he opened up the garage door batman style and flew into his loungeroom ;)
Honestly, I would not really listen to anything he is saying about 'over-volting' his wheel.

The controllers to be said are capable upto 63v but I think I read Les saying his kicked in around 60V
So applying under 60V is not 'over-volting' anything...

About the 'power resistor' and adding this to make the controller 'handle much more volts' is not true at all.

Unless you change the 8 x 63v Caps inside, adjust the circuit linked to the A1013 transistor (that feeds 12v to the FETS gates, providing the voltage is within range) which would mean re-building it entirely, this then feeds to the LM358 comparator and the 78L05 low voltage regulator is what he is talking about that has a 30v max input so really you should add in-line a step-down circuit which might be another voltage regulator. Depending on the voltage you want to apply, the resistor (if you added one) could be as large as 2-4Watts. Lol that's huge. So something reliable would be changing all the caps, the 75V rated FETS, and sourcing a 5V regulator with a wider range, or tweaking with another circuit built in to handle the higher voltage. All of this is due to the controller voltage of 24-60v operation. If it was a 48v+ controller only then this could be a different story.

That chunk above would be for applying 'much more voltage' to the controller. If you wanted to run upto 72V (charged max) then I'd say you could change the 8 capacitors easy enough, just making sure you read 12V from the emitter (middle) pin of the A1013 transistor and you would be pretty safe with the low voltage regulator. What I'm not sure of, is using regen at this given speed - and if this causes the need to also change the FETS to higher than 75V No need to add a big resistor and pump unwanted heat on and around your board inside the wheel :)

I'm leaving my stuff alone lol

What's that saying "If it aint broke........."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:53:51 PM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
Great deduction there Monkey. It has been so long since I had reverse enabled I forgot all about it. :-[

Gary
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:35:38 PM by GM Canada »