Author Topic: Magic Pie 1000W suddenly running on low power  (Read 2874 times)

Offline OJAVED11

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 1000W suddenly running on low power
« on: June 24, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
Hi. Sorry if this has been discussed before but could not find an answer when I done a quick search. I have bought an already converted bike a few months back. All running fine except for 2 issues. Firstly, after replacing a punctured tube I found the wheel kept slipping out of the drop outs. I have since bought some torque brackets which seem to be holding up. Now I have another issue which is the bike is running on low poer at all times. Full throttle with no load and wheel in the air is reading 17.5km/h on the app. Is there some sort of seeting that I have accidentally triggered? Tried another battery but issue is still there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Note: I only downloaded the app after the issue began so there was no chance of any settings on the controller being changed from the app

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 1000W suddenly running on low power
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 11:21:09 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Check out this topic for a possible cause of the low power/speed.

Alan

Offline OJAVED11

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
Hi.

Thanks

I have checked the voltage and it is reading 2.56V with the main harness connected and then 4.8V when disconnected.
Am I right in assuming that this a throttle issue and the best course of action is to replace the throttle?

If so, can anyone share where to get a replacement twist throttle?
Having a hard time finding one in the UK since throttles are banned over here

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
If you disconnect the throttle with the control harness still plugged into the motor harness and the voltage rises to 4.8V then it is likely to be the Hall sensor in the throttle drawing too much current.

You will need to either replace the entire throttle, or if your practical and solderings skills are good, you could dismantle it and change just the Hall sensor.

Check out this post for further details.

Alan

Offline OJAVED11

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
Thanks Alan

I double checked and found that when the throttle is connected the voltage drops to 2.5V and when it is disconnected it rises to 4.8V.

So I bought a new throttle and connected it today. Still has the same issue though (when the new throttle is connected the voltage still drops to 2.5V). And still running on low power with full throttle.

What would be the next best course of action in your opinion?

Thanks

Omar

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi Omar,

If the throttle is not drawing too much current, then it must be a weak +5V supply from the controller.

If it is under warranty, you should contact your supplier and explain the problem.

Otherwise, I would suggest testing it with an external voltage supply from 3 x AA batteries in series connected to the Red +5V supply and Black ground connection on the pedelec cable.

If this cures the problem, I would suggest that you find a suitable DC-DC converter that can work off your main battery, with the output set 4.5~5V to replace the AA batteries.

Alan

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
If the throttle is not drawing too much current, then it must be a weak +5V supply from the controller.

As in less than 10mA. Have you tried it with all the other devices using the 5vdc regulated power unplugged or properly isolated? Is this with the OEM HIGO connector or are we splicing things?

Regards,
T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.