Author Topic: Reversing BLDC motor standard rotation.  (Read 51473 times)

Offline EV1030

• Confirmed
Re: Reversing BLDC motor standard rotation.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
Hi Alan,
Good news everything was working great for about 25minutes then it died. I think the controller failed. No blinking light and power was good.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
Have you checked the fuse on the controller and also checked that the contactor is still switching the battery power correctly?

Alan

Offline EV1030

• Confirmed
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
The fuse is good and power on the switched wire

Offline EV1030

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 02:14:05 AM »
Hi Alan,
Is it true that the 96V VEC 500 no longer available?  The controller has failed and it's still has manufacturers warranty. GM Cananda has been very supportive but may not be able to resolve this issue easily. Can you advise on what are some possible solutions. Do you have any experience with Kelly Controllers KLS14301?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »
Is it true that the 96V VEC 500 no longer available?

I have just visited the goldenmotor.com website and it allowed me to place a VEC500-96 controller into the basket.
It is strange that the website allows this action if the controller is no longer available.  :-\

I suggest you contact Philip Yao directly (sales@goldenmotor.com) and explain your problem to him, as he may be able to arrange the repair of your failed controller if a direct replacement is no longer available.

Do you have any experience with Kelly Controllers KLS14301?

I have no personal experience with Kelly controllers, but it might be worth asking over on the Endless-Sphere forum to see if anyone there has tried the KLS14301 controller with a similar motor.

Please let us know how you resolve your controller problem.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:00:59 AM by Bikemad »

Offline EV1030

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 03:30:32 AM »
So the testing is going very good, but I still have a few more questions about the controller set points.
1. Motor temp rating (maximum safe operating temperature)?
2. Number of motor poles?
The range of the bike has varied from 80km - 140km's depending on how aggressive it's road. Top speed so far is 135kph but had more to go. I'm working on the next design to really improve the launch speed and overall performance. Has anyone ever adapted a 5speed transmission and 10lb flywheel?

Offline Rusina

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »
Here I am back on the forum.
To read this subject, a question comes to me: what is the advantage of reversing the connection of the wires of the motors to reverse the direction of rotation of the motor since there exists a "reverse" contactor that allows to do it?

Does the engine not work in a similar way forwards and backwards?

Thank you for your clarification.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »
Most brushless motors should perform almost the same in either direction, but brushless motor controllers often work differently in the switched reverse mode.

On the GM controllers, both the cruise control function and the regenerative braking function are disabled in switched reverse mode, therefore they can only be used when the motor is running in the controller's default direction of rotation.
This is unlikely to affect a boat installation where neither of these functions would typically be utilised.  ;)

On the later GM controllers built into the hub motors, the maximum speed setting is only 65 rpm in the switched reverse mode compared to 380 rpm in the forward direction. So if a wheel was inadvertently installed facing the wrong direction (and the reverse mode was permanently switched to counteract it) the bike would have a very low maximum speed when riding in a forward direction, and the regenerative braking and cruise control would only work while riding backwards.   :o

Alan

Offline EV1030

• Confirmed
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:59 PM »
Hi Alan,

Bad news for the HPC500 replacement controller.  It lasted for about 40hrs or 2000km then failed.  The bike launched forward like I've never felt before then it died.  The protection set points were set to protect the batteries at 240Amps @ max 114VDC.  What would be the reason this controller failed?  It seems like all the capacitors failed.  Can these controllers be repaired?  Would it still have warranty since it less than a year old?

Regards

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know why the controller has suddenly failed, or if it can be repaired easily and/or cheaply.

Hopefully Philip will be able to provide the answers to these questions when you email him. 
See my reply to your other post for details ;)

Alan

Offline Scooter-Roland#62

• Confirmed
Reversing BLDC motor standard rotation.
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »

Hi Alan,
 I did the modification regarding Suggestion 2, and it worked perfekt.

It was done at my yamaha majesty 250 with a 5kW Golden Motor liquid cooled.

With best regards
Roland

EDIT: Link to original post added.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:39:54 AM by Scooter-Roland#62 »