Author Topic: MW-12SP -- 12 inch Motor Wheel info  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Mascir

• Confirmed
MW-12SP -- 12 inch Motor Wheel info
« on: January 26, 2022, 09:54:44 AM »
Hi everyone,
My name is Massimo, I am Italian and I have always followed Golden Motor products with interest. A friend of mine gave me some products bought for a project that he never finished and so now I have built a scooter with them. I have the motor in object and the Magic Pie 3 kit for the wiring.

However, I have a problem. The thumb throttle in the kit is for 48v batteries and therefore the engine started briefly and then stopped, perhaps because I used a 36v battery.

I tried to find in Europe a GM thumb throttle for 36v (cable with 5 poles) but I could not find it.

I bought a similar one but can't use it with the original wiring. Is it possible that GM's 36v thumb throttle will solve my problem?

If I can find it or can I use another generic throttle and adapt it?

Thanks in advance

Massimo

Edit: Incorrect title corrected
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:42:08 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MW-12SP -- 12 inch Motor Wheel info
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 11:40:49 AM »
Hi Massimo andto the forum.

The 48V throttle should work fine with a 36V (or even 24V) battery, although the battery gauge will not.

I suspect the problem you have is the controller's Nominal battery voltage (V) setting, which is probably set to 48V if it was supplied with a 48V throttle.
You will need to reset the controller's Nominal battery voltage setting (V) to 36V so that it can run correctly on a 36V battery:

A 36V battery voltage is typically 42V when fully charged, which may be sufficient to enable the controller to work, but as soon as the motor is put under any load, the battery voltage will quickly drop below the 42V Undervoltage protection value and prevent the controller from powering the motor. This is what I suspect happened when "the engine started briefly and then stopped".

When the Nominal battery voltage is set correctly in the controller, it should not cut the power going to the motor until the battery voltage drops below 31V.  ;)

You must use the correct USB programing cable and programming software to adjust the settings in the controller, as the cables are different for "Vector" and "non-Vector" Smart Pies:

If your motor came with the MP3 wiring harness, it probably has a non-Vector controller, which requires the PI-3001 programming cable.

Alan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 12:04:01 PM »
I have just been thinking about this problem and I'm pretty sure that it would not happen with a non-Vector controller, as they did not have the user adjustable Undervoltage protection value (V) setting:

This means that your controller must be a vector controller if the undervoltage protection is causing the problem, or you may have a completely different problem.  :-\

If you fully charge the battery and the motor momentarily starts and then stops again like it did before, it is probably a Vector controller with an incorrect battery voltage setting.
However, if the motor does not try to run again with a fully charged battery, it may be a wiring problem or even a controller failure.

Do you have a 12V battery that you could temporarily wire in series with your 36V battery to try it on 48V?

Alan

Offline Mascir

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »
Hi Alan,

thanx a lot for your reply!

>Do you have a 12V battery that you could temporarily wire in series with your 36V battery to try it on 48V?

No :(

i will try with USB programming cable, but i'm using a Linux or Mac laptop. The programming sw is avalaible for these OS?

Massimo

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 05:52:28 PM »
The programming sw is available for these OS?

Unfortunately, the programming software for USB programming is currently only available for a Windows PC/laptop but I don't know if it would work if you used it within a Windows emulator environment on a Linux or Mac Laptop.

If it has the SP5 Vector controller, the Bluetooth dongle could also be used to change the controller's parameters using either the Android or iOS Bluetooth App:

Unfortunately, the SP4 Vector controllers are not compatible with the Bluetooth dongle.

Alan

Offline Mascir

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
Hi Alan,

thanx a lot for your feed

i'm looking for the programming cable (PI3001) but I can't find in Europe. To buying it in Canada costs me more shipping than the cable itself :)

do you have any idea if there are resellers in china or in the rest of the world that ship it with acceptable prices?

Massimo

Offline Mascir

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 09:56:05 AM »
Hi Alan,

thanx a lot for your feed

i'm looking for the programming cable (PI3001) but I can't find in Europe. To buying it in Canada costs me more shipping than the cable itself :)

do you have any idea if there are resellers in china or in the rest of the world that ship it with acceptable prices?

Massimo

done! I buyed minute ago directly from GM in China :)

Massimo

Offline Mascir

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 02:33:44 PM »
The programming sw is available for these OS?

Unfortunately, the programming software for USB programming is currently only available for a Windows PC/laptop but I don't know if it would work if you used it within a Windows emulator environment on a Linux or Mac Laptop.

Hi Bikemad

i receives the PI3001 cable, yesterday from China. Today I have installed a virtual machine on my Linux Laptop with Win7. I have installed GM sw and driver for the cable. All seems to be good :)
In the next days I will test the connection to the controller.

I will give a feed ASAP

Thanx

Massimo