Author Topic: How to make PAS working normally on Smart Pie 4?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Mihails

• Confirmed
How to make PAS working normally on Smart Pie 4?
« on: March 25, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »
I have installed a new PAS sensor together with a display BAC-601, and this setup works too bad. I have tried to change the PAS Ratio setting to different values, but it doesn't give much. With default setting 30 it applied full power with any of the PAS levels 3-5. I have tried also PAS Ratio 10, 20, 15 and now I have 18. Now with PAS level 5 I can ride 35-40 km/h, but with PAS level 3 or 4 it gives much power when on lower gears, so I have to pedal too fast, but once I switch to the next gear (I have 3x8 speed setup), it doesn't give any power at all.

I had another pedelec and there I had 4 PAS levels that worked normally, but on this bicycle PAS isn't really usable. :-[ Is there any way to make it work normally?

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: How to make PAS working normally on Smart Pie 4?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
HI Mihails
I'm using (for Germany) PAS as well, but I use an external multiplicator circuit (three OpAmps) to multiply PAS with the throttle. My experience with PAS only was very unsatisfactory (esp. on traffic crossings) and throttle alone is not allowed, so I build my own to get it done.
I'd guess your PAS is not delivering the signals the BAC wants and therefore the BAC misinterprets your cycling. I tried three different PAS and only two worked at all; the 6 magnet version was too slow to react (60° movement just to recognise I'm doing something) I switched to a double HALL with 12 magnets (therefore I could differ between pedaling and back pedalling and only 15° is needed to get a clear signal. With my circuit I even integrated the "Backpedalling=trigger Regen Braking" which I still use even when my VESC is capable of everything.
Cheers
Sam

Online Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: How to make PAS working normally on Smart Pie 4?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
Hi Sam,

Any chance of getting a schematic of your PAS output booster and how it was integrated in your system?

I've seen a 24 magnet, 2 hall sensors, sensors and magnets integrated into one housing. Would this be desirable or over done?

Regards,
T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.