Author Topic: error Smart Pie rotation  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Stegolden

• Confirmed
error Smart Pie rotation
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
Hi,
the controller of my Smart Pie is die

i've got new controller, replaced this and connect the cable in same position.
but wheel turn in opposite direction!!

solutions?
thank you

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: error Smart Pie rotation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
The front and rear Smart Pies rotate in different directions as the controller is mounted on different sides of the wheel.

I don't know if the direction is dependant upon different controller firmware* or simply selected by the wiring connections, but you should be able to reverse the default direction of rotation by swapping the Yellow and Blue phase wires and the Yellow and Green Hall sensor wires.

Before changing the wires, it might be worth checking that it is not simply running in reverse because the Black and Blue wires on the pedelec cable coming from the controller have accidentally touched against each other.  ;)

Alan

*PLEASE READ MY UPDATED POST BELOW
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:19:04 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: error Smart Pie rotation - Update
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
Apparently, the Smart Pie controllers use the same firmware for front and rear, but if the controller you purchased has the Magic Pie firmware (instead of the Smart Pie firmware) this could explain the reversed direction of rotation.

If yours is a Bluetooth enabled Smart Pie 5, the Bluetooth compatible controller is the same for the Smart Pie 5, Magic Pie 5 and Magic Pie Edge motors, but the firmware is not, so I think you may need to reflash the controller with the correct Smart Pie Firmware.

You can download the zip file containing the flashing tool and software from goldenmotor.ca.

Make sure that you only use the "SMP5-20150702.0C8" file and not the MP5 or EDGE files.  ;)

If your motor is an earlier motor without Bluetooth enabled controller, you may need to contact your supplier for a solution.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:24:56 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Ozkartman

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 05:00:00 AM »
I've got the same problem actually.  So yes, no cable for the flash update for MPE/Sp5.  Can do this via the app ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 03:25:15 PM »
So yes, no cable for the flash update for MPE/Sp5.  Can do this via the app ?

Unfortunately not, re-flashing cannot be done via the Bluetooth App as the flash update program needs to be run on a windows PC or laptop, so you would definitely need the correct USB programming cable to update the firmware in the controller.

I also noticed that the previous link to the flashing tool and software is no longer valid, so I'm wondering whether the removed software is no longer compatible with later controllers.  ???

Alan

Offline Ozkartman

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 03:51:42 AM »
Ok Alan, thanks for the reply again.  Yes I've tried all options at my disposal & now looking for a new SP5 controller or a SP5/MPE cable which is closeby.  I have about 10 cables but they are all MP3 !!