Author Topic: Using a non-Golden Motor PAS with the Magic Pie 5  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
Using a non-Golden Motor PAS with the Magic Pie 5
« on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:15 AM »
I tried installing the Golden Motor PAS but the ring that is supplied by Golden Motor will not fit the area where the cranks are.

I am considering 2 options:
1) Installing and using a separate non-GM PAS sensor altogether
2) Installing the a non-GM ring mount and then gluing the GM PAS sensor to this ring mount.

Now my question is, will this non-GM PAS sensor be compatible with the Magic Pie 5? Or should I just glue the GM PAS sensor to a new ring for compatibility purposes?

This is the PAS sensor I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Accessories-Bicycle-Voltage-Assistant/dp/B01MXH67CA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524708121&sr=8-1&keywords=pas+sensor&dpID=41diX6LUsvL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Using a non-Golden Motor PAS with the Magic Pie 5
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
Hi Wilson, is this being installed on the same bike you had last June?

I tried installing the Golden Motor PAS but the ring that is supplied by Golden Motor will not fit the area where the cranks are.

I am considering 2 options:
1) Installing and using a separate non-GM PAS sensor altogether
2) Installing the a non-GM ring mount and then gluing the GM PAS sensor to this ring mount.

Now my question is, will this non-GM PAS sensor be compatible with the Magic Pie 5? Or should I just glue the GM PAS sensor to a new ring for compatibility purposes?

Option 1) will be more of a challenge because the non-GM PAS sensor that you have bought is a "voltage mode" type which needs to be wired into the throttle wiring instead of the PAS wiring.

If you can use the non-GM ring mount and then glue the GM PAS sensor to it, then Option 2) should be the easiest solution and it will still allow different PAS power modes to be selected via the BAC-601 Smart Display's mode button.

However, Option 1) with the "voltage mode" PAS sensor connected to the throttle wiring may provide smoother, more responsive and more consistent power control than the GM "pulse mode" PAS sensor does.

Alan

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
Re: Using a non-Golden Motor PAS with the Magic Pie 5
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:18:25 PM »
Hi. Late reply. I had the same problem on my Ghost bike. I just took a el-screwdriver with a drill bit and drilled out the plastic in the middle (following the "outer" ring already on the PAS plastic bit with the magnets on) and then carefully cut off the remaining plastic. I left it in it`s "rough" shape so it fit snugly over the crank. Worked lie a charm, but then again I only have it on so that my bike is "legal" here in Norway. I really do not use it much.
GM5