Author Topic: switched on regen, battery shut off, can not reconect  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
switched on regen, battery shut off, can not reconect
« on: February 19, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »
I managed to go into settings via blutooth and change the regen brake setting from :closed to :open, then the bike halted a lot, was very hard to go forward when I activated the brakes (this before pads touched the disk), not like before the change where there was a bit of resistance but not like this, a lot of resistance.

Then the battery went haywire and the bike shut off completely. Now I can not reconnect to change the setting back to closed.

Anyone knows how to remedy this? Is there a way to reset the controller to factory default? or am I out of luck and have to swap controllers (with the drop out "strengtheners" on both sides it is a PAIN to do that job).

any help or tip is very much appreciated - Jim
GM5

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: switched on regen, battery shut off, can not reconect
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
Is the battery working again and allowing the motor to run normally?

Does your the GM phone App recognise the Bluetooth dongle?

I suggest you have a few more attempts at connecting via Bluetooth (perhaps in a different location with less phone signal/Wifi interference) and see if it eventually connects.

Alan

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »
Alan you are a mensch as always. If I take the battery off the bike and turn it on, it lights up with 3 "bars" as normal. IF I put it on the bike and turn it on (it has a on/off switch) it lights up the same 3 bars as normal for about 3 sec, then it lights up one green and one red. After that it does not allow me to connect to the bike controller to change the regen from open back to closed. The bike did regen recharge the battery before I changed that setting (in downhill when activating the brake slightly). After I made the change (thought it was a "mistake" that the setting was closed) the bike became sloooow with a LOT of resistance when downhill. Before going downhill the thumb throttle worked fine, but as soon I went downhill and activated the brakes, the bike shut off and the one red and one green light on the battery came on.  I have tried several times to turn on the bike with the phone ready, to no avail. When I click the "connect" button in app I go directly to settings page where a lot of "unknown device" shows up. None of them say GM. I guess there is no "pin hole" like on computes CD rom drives or modems to reset. Could I try to double up two 12v car batteries to get 24v to try to connect that way?
I suspect the battery BMS is preventing me from connecting, battery did not like the regen setting on open.
But since the bike was set to 48v I probably will not be able to connect even with 24v. I really do not want to have to go buy 2 more 12 car batteries to get 48v.
GM5

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:27:36 PM »
I guess there is no "pin hole" like on computes CD rom drives or modems to reset. Could I try to double up two 12v car batteries to get 24v to try to connect that way?
I suspect the battery BMS is preventing me from connecting, battery did not like the regen setting on open.
But since the bike was set to 48v I probably will not be able to connect even with 24v. I really do not want to have to go buy 2 more 12 car batteries to get 48v.

Definitely no pin hole reset function, but you should be able to connect via Bluetooth using 24V to power the controller so that you can adjust the settings (even though the controller is currently set to 48V).
I have previously adjusted settings on vector controllers using a single 12V battery as a power source in conjunction with the USB lead, but I have not tried programming the controller using the Bluetooth dongle while it was powered from a 12V supply.

Try it with 24V (or even 12V) and see what happens, you will not damage the controller on a lower voltage battery (unless you accidentally connect it with reversed polarity.)  :o

Alan

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »
Ok, will try, but the connector plate for the battery, where do I try to set power to (far right and far left?)
There are 5 pins on the plate.
GM5

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:10:45 PM »
And witch is "most likely" to be positive and negative? I have this battery -
https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-48v-13s5p-jumbo-shark-ebike-battery/
GM5

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 10:40:20 PM »
Ok, will try, but the connector plate for the battery, where do I try to set power to (far right and far left?)
There are 5 pins on the plate.

Now I'm confused, I naturally assumed that you were going to try with a 24V battery: 
I really do not want to have to go buy 2 more 12 car batteries to get 48v

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing what pin layout has been used on your battery connector plate.   ???

And witch is "most likely" to be positive and negative? I have this battery -
https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-48v-13s5p-jumbo-shark-ebike-battery/

Negative (-) is usually a Black wire and Positive (+) is usually a Red wire, but this is not always the case with all batteries.
If it has separate leads for power and charging, the power leads are usually thicker than the charging leads.

I always use a voltmeter to double check the polarity of a battery if I'm in any doubt.
If the polarity of the meter probes is reversed, the battery voltage reading will still be displayed but will typically have a "-" sign in front of it, or if you are using an analogue meter, the needle will try to flick back below zero.

Alan

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 10:52:35 PM »
:) sorry for confusion. I as of right now I only have 1 12v car battery, wanted to try to connect it to the plate to see if I can connect and change the setting. The question is what pin on the plate will likely be the positive and the negative. It is a 5 pin plate. as I understand positive is most likely to be furthest to the right on the plate (plate is mounted in "bottle spot") that is looking from atop down onto the plate
GM5

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 11:48:20 PM »
Figured it out, the pin on the plate to the far right is positive and the pin to the far left on the plate is negative.
GM5

Offline Bikewrangler

• Confirmed
  • Magic Pie 5
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:39:48 PM »
Ok, do not try that at home folks. Sparks flew, the cables (from 12v battery to controller leads) melted and caused a short. Now I have a brand new controller inn. The regular 3 green bars on my battery now lights up. I get no connection to the bike (on the speedometer "page" in the app). In the settings page I constantly get "parameters read success". If I try to change the settings (acceleration %) from 100% to 70% (I do not like it when the bike is to fast off the line) then I see the bluetooth dongle light blink fast, then I get the same message "parameters read success" and the setting changes back to 100%. Same with all other changes. If I just turn on the battery and touch nothing I get "parameters read success". The dongle blinks rapidly ("parameters read success") then stops for 5 sec and starts blinking again and repeat. It seems like the dongle is stuck on a loop. Do I need a new dongle? And just to be sure "open" means active and "closed" means off ? right? (as of right now the parameters reads "open" but the battery does not give me a 1 green and 1 red light). Hoping for a quick help reply as I need to get this %&///&% bike done before I move to the north of norway in a week or so. Cheers Jim
GM5

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »
Ok, do not try that at home folks. Sparks flew, the cables (from 12v battery to controller leads) melted and caused a short.

If the controller was not faulty this would not happen, the only reason you had sparks etc. was because the controller is faulty and two or more of the MOSFETs must have failed, resulting in a short circuit between the two main power cables or a permanent very low resistance circuit through the stator windings.

And just to be sure "open" means active and "closed" means off ? right? (as of right now the parameters reads "open" but the battery does not give me a 1 green and 1 red light).

I am pretty sure that 1:Open enables the regenerative braking, but I don't have easy access to my MP5 to be able to confirm this, as it is currently tucked away behind garden furniture that was put into dry storage for the winter months.

Whether the regen was enabled or not, it should not have any effect upon your battery lights while the bike is not being used.

Alan