Author Topic: How and where are people mounting cruise controllers?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
How and where are people mounting cruise controllers?
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:52:40 AM »
The cruise controller does not appear to have the heatsinking of the older controllers yet it has a higher power rating.  And I see on the website that there were plans to sell a plastic box to put the controller and horn in.  Is heat an issue?

And what about the wiring?  Are people mounting them wiring side up or down?  And are there issues with corrosion on all those terminals?

Right now I am thinking of mounting it wire side up and hermetically sealing the wire side with sliced up tupper ware, duct tape, and RTV while trying to get the wind to blow on the other side.

Oh, and the other thing that scares me is the wimpy wire gauge on all these jumpers.

Has that been a problem?

I have 10 gauge coming off my batteries.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wire gauge and current carrying capabilities
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »

the other thing that scares me is the wimpy wire gauge on all these jumpers.

The following chart was intended for use with R/C brushless motors, which tend to use relatively short cable runs. longer cables should have the same current capacities, but will unfortunately suffer more from voltage drop (Reduced performance).

Thicker wires are generally better as they give less voltage drop over the same length of cable, but thinner wires are commonly used to cut down on size, weight and cost!

Quote from: Lucien Miller (RCGroups.com)
One parameter that everyone wants to know is "How much current can I run through a wire?" The industry standard for houshold wiring is 300 Circular Mils per Amp (CM/A). But as we have discussed here on multiple occasions, in our small brushless motors, we can get away with pushing much more current through the wire.

There are 2 different "Standards" that I like to use for calculating maximum current in a wire. For "Sport" motors, or motors that will be run for long periods of time, I like to use 75 CM/A to size the wire. For "Performance" or "Speed" motors, you can push the wire to 60 CM/A as long as sufficient cooling air is provided to the motor. Remember that these values are "Per-Phase" currents. In a 3-phase motor, the total motor current will be double these values.

The document now contains data for current capacities at 60 CM/A, 75 CM/A and the standard 300 CM/A.

So here is the new Version 1.1 "Best Wire Gauge Chart Ever" complete with current capacity numbers.

Hopefully this chart will be of interest to some of you. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:16:27 AM by Bikemad »