Author Topic: Brushed motor and Brushless Motor Controller  (Read 11607 times)

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • GoldenMotor Slovenia, Croatia
Brushed motor and Brushless Motor Controller
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
I have a problem connecting HUB24E motor to this controller. I have a "button" throttle (only ON/OFF) for assistance transport vehicle (small one) connected to controller (it is working on Magic Pie perfectly as a walking button). The controller has 3 outputs, GREEN BLUE and YELLOW. If I'm checking the Voltage on controller while pressing throttle button the voltage is jumping from 0 to 24V randomly and if I connect the motor the rotation is corresponding to voltage reading. It start and then immediate stop and this continuous in a second or two.

Can anybody point me to a right direction ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Brushed motor and Brushless Motor Controller
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Have you programmed the controller for use with a brushless motor using the usb cable and software?

On Brushless setting it would be constantly changing the polarity of the output between the phase wires, but a brushed motor must have a constant polarity supply (DC) to run.

Alan

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
BikeMad, yes I did change that ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »

Try testing the voltage between each of the phase connections and battery negative and see if it is any different.

If you don't get any success, it might be easier to purchase a cheap controller designed specifically for a brushed motor:

Alan

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
Yes it is jumping the same from 0 to 24V very fast... no steady voltage

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »

I have to go to work now, but Check out this post in the meantime as it might account for the readings.

Alan

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
Since im using this configuration without GM throttle control, only the button this might be the case. How can this be solved ?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:43:23 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle-less operation
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:16:46 AM »
It should still work using just the button, but the cruise controller would stay in throttle failure mode until the cruise button was pressed, because it would not detect a constant throttle voltage of at least 0.8V.
This should not really be a problem (apart from threes beeps each time the button was released) because the cruise control is not connected to the cruise function, so instead of running at half throttle when pressed, it would run at whatever throttle speed that the trimmer was set to provide.

If the throttle is not used, it should ideally be replaced with another 10K Trimmer and diode (as shown in the following animation) to prevent the controller from entering into throttle failure mode:

The basic circuit (a single trimmer and the cruise switch) should work fine with a basic "brushed" speed controller.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:42:50 PM by Bikemad »

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
It simply does not work. I attached a video link (9Mb, 38sec) to see the configuration. Maybe the 3 wires are different in this controller ?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15916226/26022011006.mp4

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »

I have just watched your video, and the controller seems to be producing an AC (alternating current) output, which is definitely no good for a DC (Direct Current) brushed motor. It would be interesting to put your meter on the "AC V" setting and see if the reading is more stable.

I have not come across anyone using the cruise controller to drive a brushed motor before, so I don't even know if it is possible, but it seems pointless having the option to select a "DC (brushed)" in the software if it doesn't actually do anything.
An email to tom@goldenmotor.com might provide confirmation of whether it is likely to work or not.

As I mentioned earlier, a brushed motor controller might be the easiest option. ;)

Alan

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
I send email to Tom. I hope there is solution. Possible if GM sells Brushed motors it seems obvious to also use their own controller. Can you provide me with a link in EU to purchase this kind of controller? Regards and thanks for your effort!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Cheap Brushed Motor Controller
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »

I tend to use eBay a lot, but I found this cheap brushed speed controller on VirtualVillage.co.uk (but it comes from China). ???

I don't know what the shipping cost would be to Croatia, but it might be worth a try.

Alan

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »
Now I finnaly got this motor controler: http://www.tncscooters.com/YK48-3.php
Is there anyone who could help me find how to connect this correctly. GM Throttle control -> 3 wires ?

Thanks guys...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:21:10 AM by urosv »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Brushed Controller Throttle Wiring
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »
Is there anyone who could help me find how to connect this correctly. GM Throttle control -> 3 wires ?

The GM throttle controls have three wires:
Red: +5v Supply
Black: 0V Ground
White (or possibly Green): Signal output from throttle (0.8V-4.2V)

Connect these wires to the three pin throttle connector which is confusingly marked "Derailleur":

Black -> Black
Red -> Red
White (or possibly Green) -> Blue (S)ignal wire

The rest of the wiring looks pretty straightforward, but please ask again if you're unsure.

Don't forget to connect the BLUE and YELLOW wires on the Lock Connector to turn the controller ON in the Forward Direction.

Alan

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »
Actually this is not exactly the same controller as I looked in connectors, it is from the same vendor but I did not found the same connector model. Im attaching a picture. Maybe this will help. I removed the connector for (throttle / dirailleur? ) for mounting purposes only.
Can you also confirm the motor and power connector on the picture ?