Author Topic: Anyone played around with flat GM battery cells?  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
Anyone played around with flat GM battery cells?
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
I've just opened and started disassemly of my brothers old 36V16Ah GM battery, which has been beneath a pile of snow a whole winter, and just lying around for a whole another year... :o

The BMS are ofcourse badly corroded, but the cells aren't that bad - visually... ;) Measuring each bank of 4 cells gives 1 bank of 2.6V, 2 banks of 3.5V - and 7 banks of 0.0V  ;D The 3 banks with actual voltage should be ok.
Having a lab. power supply delivering up to 24V@2.5A, I started charging 5 banks in series for 20 minutes and let the batteries rest for 1/2 hour. after that, 3 of the banks had 2-3 cells still hot to the touch. I'm guessing those cells was being drained by a shorted cell in the same bank. Those 3 banks measured around 0.8V at that time. The other 2 banks fell rapidly down to 0.0V...

Now I've disassembled each bank, and started charging single cells at 4.22V@4A.
So far, I've got 5 cells that keeps 4.00V at rest 2 hours after charging. (I'm keeping a manual eye on the voltageduring charge.) As soon the voltage reaches 4.220V (high precision Fluke meter), I stop the charge.
I haven't started charging those 3 banks that had 2.5V++ volts initially yet; believing those are ok.

Anyone have any experience regarding life reduction of these cells being totally flat for a period of time?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:15:31 AM by Cornelius »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Anyone played around with flat GM battery cells?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
I have noticed that really bad cells will start holding voltage, but in a short space of time will drop voltage, then it will drag the voltage of the entire pack down....

you could charge them up and try some load testing....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
You're probably right...

I've reduced the charging Amp to 2A because of the heat the cells developed @4A charge. Some of the cells i've charged so far, reached 4.20V in just 1 hour @ 2A, and that tells us the capacity are significantly reduced.

I'm thinking of using an PicAxe 08M to build a single cell charger that monitors voltage and temperature, and controls the charging output on/off; with logging to pc... That way, I have better control over time used to charge, and since charging current are rather constant until around 4.1V, capacity gained are easily calculated. :)

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
I just browsed around the net and found some useful info at batteryuniversity.com :

Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion packs that have been under stress are more sensitive to mechanical abuse, such as vibration, dropping and exposure to heat.

Another one:
Charge efficiency is 97 to 99 percent and the cell remains cool during charge.
In other words; when i'm playing at charging these 0.0V cells, and see that they're getting hot rather quick, I should really just throw them away... :P

And finally, some guidelines:
•A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

•Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

•Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

•Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

•Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

•Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

•Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Now, we're a bit wiser... ;D